Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Goold (Old Court)

The Golds/Goolds were an old family associated with the city of Cork. George Goold was established at Old Court near the city in the mid 18th century. He married Mary Catherine, eldest daughter of James Galway. Their second son, Francis Goold, was created a baronet in 1801 and was succeeded by his nephew George as 2nd Baronet in 1818. In 1802 George married Lady Charlotte Browne, daughter of the Earl of Kenmare. The Goold estate was first advertised for sale in November 1851. It was comprised of over 2,100 acres in county Cork, 2,300 acres in county Tipperary and 277 acres in county Limerick and included the head rent of a number of mansion houses in the Mallow locality of county Cork. The sale rental includes details relating to the bidding and to the purchasers. Murdock Green and Robert Potter purchased portions of the Cork estate while lands in Tipperary were purchased by John Adair. . At the time of Griffith's Valuation the county Tipperary estate was in the parishes of Loughmoe East and West, barony of Eliogarty and Clonbullogue, barony of Clanwilliam. In June 1874, over 650 acres owned by Sir Henry Valentine Goold in the barony of East Carbery, county Cork, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The purchaser was Thomas Beamish. Henry M. Goold held land at Gooldshill, parish of Mallow in the 1850s. Henry Michael Goold was a nephew of the first baronet. The estate of Henry Michael Francis Goold amounting to 7,686 acres in the baronies of Eliogarty (parishes of Loughmoe East and West), Ikerrin and Clanwilliam, county Tipperary and 826 acres in the baronies of Fermoy and Duhallow, including Goold's Hill were advertised for sale in August 1852. Members of the Goold family had connections with other county Cork localities and with the city of Limerick. George Goold of Aughrim owned 183 acres and Theobald Goold of Cork city owned 138 acres in the 1870s. In November 1877 the 155 acre estate of George Goold at Aughrim, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, was advertised for sale. It was held on a renewal lease from St John Galway to George Goold dated 3 July 1847.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Bearforest Bearforest Lower Mallow Mallow Mallow North Urban 251 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W565 975
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80
Bearforest Upper Bearforest Upper Mallow Mallow Mallow Rural 250 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref:
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80
Springmount Bearforest Upper Mallow Mallow Mallow Rural 250 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref:
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80
Gooldshill Gooldshill Mallow Mallow Mallow Rural 250 Fermoy Cork OSI Ref: W547 964
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map: 80
Aughrim Aughrim Shandrum Kanturk Allow 170 Orrery & Kilmore Cork OSI Ref: R432 158
OS Sheet: 6
Discovery map: 73
Oldcourt Oldcourt Carrigaline Cork Douglas 98 Cork Cork OSI Ref: W733 679
OS Sheet: 87
Discovery map: 87
Curryglass Curryglass Shandrum Kanturk Dromina 172 Orrery and Kilmore Cork OSI Ref: R451 205
OS Sheet: 2
Discovery map: 73
Brownstown Brownstown Loughmoe East Thurles Kilrush 142 Eliogarty Tipperary OSI Ref: S136 649
OS Sheet: 35
Discovery map: 60
Dromard Dromardbeg Killavinoge Roscrea Killavinoge 117 Ikerrin Tipperary OSI Ref: S174 770
OS Sheet: 24
Discovery map: 60
Farm Hill Teeveeny Shandrum Kanturk Dromina 172 Orrery and Kilmore Cork OSI Ref: R453 156
OS Sheet: 7
Discovery map: 73

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Earl of Kenmare & Jerningham trustees for Goold, 27 Nov 1851, Vol 10 (16), MRGS 39/005, 12 Mar 1852, Vol 14 (8), MRGS 39/006, 17 June 1852, Vol 16 (28), MRGS 39/007,(microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Goold, 19 June 1874, Vol 115, MRGS 39/053, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Goold, 9 Nov 1877, Vol 130 (13), MRGS 39/058, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (Burke), Goold, (Ballydahin & Goold's Hill), 12 July 1853, Vol 35; National Library of Ireland
  • Mrs A. Kelly Collection, includes map of part of the Goold estate in South Liberties, Cork, 1800 . Small Accs Index 1/671(47) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • 1 printed document (180pp). Contains a compilation of facts concerning the Gould/Goold family name in Ireland 1299-1799. Contains transcripts and extracts from original sources, such as deeds and wills, 1288-1799. Acc 2005/4; Cork City and County Archives
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Goold, (Curryglass), 7 May 1852, Vol 15 (15), MRGS 39/006, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Goold, 5 Aug 1852, Vol 18 (3), MRGS 39/008, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Goold, (1,341 acres, parish of Anameadle, barony of Upper Ormond), 11 Nov 1851, Vol 11 (48), MRGS 39/005, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Letters from George Goold to J.W. Ball, re Ballycarron estate, Co Tipperary, 1821-1862. Ms 8338; National Library of Ireland
  • Maps of the Goold estates in Eliogarty Barony, Co. Tipperary, 19th c. M. 3708 (29-31); National Archives of Ireland
  • Power of attorney from Sir George Goold (grandson of George Goold of Cork City) to Samuel Cooke of Borrisoleigh, Co. Tipperary Oct. 9, 1820. D. 19,879 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey files, Parish of Shandrum; Cork County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources