Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Clarke (Farran)

William Clarke, a tobacco merchant of Cork, bought Farran House, parish of Aglish, barony of East Muskerry and a large estate in 1868. His company, William Clarke and Sons, became one of the largest tobacco producing companies in the British Isles. In the 1870s William Clarke of Farran owned 5,679 acres in county Cork. Thomas Clarke held 1,058 acres of untenanted land at Farran in 1906. Aghamarta Castle and Nadrid House belonged to members of this family in the 20th century. see http://www.farranhouse.com/history.htm

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Farran Farran Aglish Macroom Aglish 209 East Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W497 693
OS Sheet: 72
Discovery map: 80
Aghamarta Castle Aghamarta Templebreedy Kinsale Templebreedy 202 Kerrycurrihy Cork OSI Ref: W771607
OS Sheet: 99
Discovery map: 87
Nadrid Nadrid Magourney Macroom Magourney 217 East Muskerry Cork OSI Ref: W458 718
OS Sheet: 72
Discovery map: 80
Trabolgan Trabolgan Trabolgan Middleton Corkbeg 257 Imokilly Cork OSI Ref: W847 617
OS Sheet: 100
Discovery map: 81