Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Aghamarta Castle

Estate(s)
Townland Aghamarta
Civil Parish Templebreedy
PLU Kinsale
DED Templebreedy 202
County Cork
Barony Kerrycurrihy
Description This property was held in fee by the representatives of Carew O'Grady at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £22. Lewis noted it as the seat of Carew O'Grady in 1837. Local sources suggest that he had purchased it, c.1824, from the Pomeroy family, who had purchased it from the Earl of Shannon in the later seventeenth century. The original castle was replaced by the existing house in the 1830s. The property is now a farm and cookery school. See www.thompsonsfarmshop.com
Aghamarta renovated courtyard (www.thompsonsfarmshop.com)
Aghamarta Castle (National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location