Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Clarke (Farran)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Penrose/Penrose Welsted (Shandangan) The Penroses were a Cornish family who settled in county Waterford in the 17th century. In 1775 Samuel Penrose married Mary daughter of George Randall of Barnhill, county Cork and his wife a daughter of Abraham Devonsher of Kilshanick. Their son Samuel Penrose of Shandangan was born in 1776 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation held an estate in the parishes of Aglish and Cannaway, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. His son, also named Samuel, married in 1827 Sarah daughter of John Welsted of Ballywalter, county Cork. Their son the Reverend Samuel Penrose Welsted eventually succeeded to the Shandangan and Ballywalter properties. In November 1864 the lands of Shandangan, the estate of Samuel Penrose, were advertised for sale. In the 1870s the Reverend S. Penrose of Kinsale owned 701 acres in county Cork.
Clarke (Farran) William Clarke, a tobacco merchant of Cork, bought Farran House, parish of Aglish, barony of East Muskerry and a large estate in 1868. His company, William Clarke and Sons, became one of the largest tobacco producing companies in the British Isles. In the 1870s William Clarke of Farran owned 5,679 acres in county Cork. Thomas Clarke held 1,058 acres of untenanted land at Farran in 1906. Aghamarta Castle and Nadrid House belonged to members of this family in the 20th century. see http://www.farranhouse.com/history.htm