Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Penrose/Penrose Welsted (Shanadangan)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Penrose/Penrose Welsted (Shandangan) The Penroses were a Cornish family who settled in county Waterford in the 17th century. In 1775 Samuel Penrose married Mary daughter of George Randall of Barnhill, county Cork and his wife a daughter of Abraham Devonsher of Kilshanick. Their son Samuel Penrose of Shandangan was born in 1776 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation held an estate in the parishes of Aglish and Cannaway, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. His son, also named Samuel, married in 1827 Sarah daughter of John Welsted of Ballywalter, county Cork. Their son the Reverend Samuel Penrose Welsted eventually succeeded to the Shandangan and Ballywalter properties. In November 1864 the lands of Shandangan, the estate of Samuel Penrose, were advertised for sale. In the 1870s the Reverend S. Penrose of Kinsale owned 701 acres in county Cork.
Clarke (Farran) William Clarke, a tobacco merchant of Cork, bought Farran House, parish of Aglish, barony of East Muskerry and a large estate in 1868. His company, William Clarke and Sons, became one of the largest tobacco producing companies in the British Isles. In the 1870s William Clarke of Farran owned 5,679 acres in county Cork. Thomas Clarke held 1,058 acres of untenanted land at Farran in 1906. Aghamarta Castle and Nadrid House belonged to members of this family in the 20th century. see http://www.farranhouse.com/history.htm
Welstead Thomas Welstead and his wife Mary were granted 2,264 acres in the barony of Corkaguinny, county Kerry and 1,726 acres in the barony of Fermoy, county Cork, by patent dated 1667. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Welstead held an estate located in the parishes of Templeroan and Wallstown, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. His estate amounted to over a thousand acres in the 1870s. Richard died in 1896 and was succeeded by his nephew the Reverend Samuel Penrose Welstead.
O'Mahony (Templevally) William O'Mahony of Templevally held land in the parish of Mogeely, barony of Kinnatalloon, county Cork, in the mid 19th century. In the 1870s John O'Mahony of Templevally is recorded as the owner of 680 acres in the county and William O'Mahony, a minor, America, owned 412 acres. In January 1878 the estate of John Joseph, Ellen Mary, Eugene Patrick O'Mahony and of John J. O'Mahony as administrator "de bonis non" of William, Kate, Charles, William Henry and Frederick James O'Mahony, amounting to over 1,000 acres in the barony of Kinnattalloon, was advertised for sale. Most of the O'Mahony estate was bought by William O'Mahony from the Encumbered Estates Commissions in 1856. It was previously part of the Uniacke estate. Hajba writes that two of William's sons had to flee to America as they were implicated in the Fenian Rising.
Penrose (Woodhill) This was the senior branch of the Penroses of Cork, descended from a Cornish Quaker family of that name. In 1732 John Penrose married Anne, daughter of Edward Cooper of Cooper's Hill, county Laois. Their son, Cooper Penrose of Woodhill, Cork, married Elizabeth Dennis of Cork and had a son, John. In 1794 John married Louisa, daughter of Robert Uniacke-Fitzgerald of Corkbeg and Lisquinlan, county Cork. The Cooper Penrose collection of art, containing portraits of this family, is now located at the Crawford Art Gallery, Cork. http://www.crawfordartgallery.ie/images/Exhibitions/CooperPenroseCollectionbook.pdf.