Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dickson (Kildimo)

Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1912) records members of the Dickson family living at Ballyhonogue, Clonshire and Ballynaguile, county Limerick in the 18th century. Stephen Dickson and his wife Mary Lane had six sons. The youngest son, Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguille, married twice. The only child of his first marriage was a daughter who married Richard Power of Munroe, county Tipperary. The Power family succeeded the Dicksons at Clonshire. In 1775 Samuel married secondly Mary Norris of Limerick city and they had at least ninne children. Their eldest son Stephen was a barrister and Commissioner of Bankrupts and he bought the county Limerick estate of the Dillons of Clonbrock in 1831 amounting to about 3,000 acres. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the representatives of Stephen Dickson, Limerick, holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, Loughill, Kilmoylan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam. Stephen Dickson died unmarried in 1839 and his estate appears to have been dispersed among a number of his brothers and nephews. Stephen Dickson's brothers, Reverend Richard Dickson and Major General William Dickson, were his only male siblings who married and had children. In the early 1850s Reverend Richard Dickson of Vermount, Clarina, county Limerick, held townlands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, barony of Shanid, Fedamore, barony of Smallcounty, Kilkeedy, barony of Pubblebrien and Doon, barony of Coonagh. He was agent to the Barker estate in county Limerick in the early 19th century. He married Anne, daughter of Sir James Chatterton, 1st Baronet, and had a son, Samuel Frederick Dickson of Mulcair and Creaves, who owned a county Limerick estate of 2,540 acres in the 1870s. Samuel F. Dickson's brother, Reverend William Richard Dickson of Berkshire, owned a further 1,150 acres in county Limerick. Their sister, Rebecca Caroline, married Reverend William Francis Maunsell of the Spa Hill family and rector of Kildimo. Reverend Maunsell's only son, Colonel William Maunsell, assumed the surname Dickson in 1900 and succeeded to the estates of his uncle S.F. Dickson. He married his first cousin, Frances Maunsell and they had four daughters. Colonel Dickson had addresses at Kildimo House, county Limerick and Bournemouth, England in 1910. This family's surname is often spelt "Dixon" in contemporary official records.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Fort Anne Creeves Dunmoylan Rathkeale Lismakeery 123 Shanid Limerick OSI Ref: R304 459
OS Sheet: 19
Discovery map: 64
Clonshire Clonshirebeg Clonshire Rathkeale Croagh 134 Connello Lower Limerick OSI Ref: R435 452
OS Sheet: 21
Discovery map: 65
Spring Lodge/Springfort Ballybronoghe North Killonahan Limerick Patrick's Well 56 Pubblebrien Limerick OSI Ref: R510 490
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 65
River Ville [Mulkear] Ballyvarra Wood Killeenagarriff Limerick Ballyvarra 46 Clanwilliam Limerick OSI Ref: R678 548
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 65
Mulkear Garraunykee Killeenagarriff Limerick Ballyvarra 46 Clanwilliam Limerick OSI Ref: R647 574
OS Sheet: 6
Discovery map: 65

Archival sources

  • Confirmation of arms to descendants of Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguile, Co Limerick & to his grandson Lt Col Samuel Auchmuty Dickson of Clonlehard, Co Limerick & Beenham House, Berkshire, eldest son of Major General William Dickson, 8 Jan 1855. GO MS 108:55-56; National Library of Ireland
  • Documents re Dickson trust & lands at Ballygrenan, Co Limerick, 1868-1910. D 24,025-24,027; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of grant of arms to Lt Col William Dickson Maunsell of Kildimo House, only son of Rev William Francis Maunsell & his wife Rebecca Caroline, daughter of Richard Dickson of Vermont & sister of Samuel Frederick Dickson of Mulcair, on his assuming name & arms of Dickson only, 16 Jan 1901. GO MS 111:89-90; National Library of Ireland
  • Clonbrock Papers, Collection List 54, MS 35,727 (10) ; National Library of Ireland
  • Transcripts of Viscount Midleton Papers, re Lissamota, Ballingarry, barony of Connello Upper, Co Limerick, chief rent 1720 & Samuel Dickson's wish to purchase 1801. T2862/2/20 & T2862/9/218 & /227; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Copy of conveyance of Laurel Hill Cottage, also known as Summerville Cottage, by William Dickson Dickson of Bournemouth & others to Charles Ebrill, of Limerick, solicitor, for £1,090, 10 Feb 1920.; Limerick City Library
  • Jameson, solicitors collection, includes legal documents re Castleconnell estate of John S. Dwyer, contain references to Rich, Rose, Dickson, Sir R. Burgh, O'Grady, Frewen & John Napper in 1750s, with maps, 1840s-1870s. Small Accs Index 53, Co 1200-1291 & D.6525-6545; National Archives of Ireland
  • Copies from Smith Barry Papers of rentals, valuations, accounts & correspondence re estates of Smith Barry family in Cos Louth, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork. Includes papers of Samuel Dickson, Cooks Court [London], land agent to the family in 1755. Also papers re Earl of Barrymore/Earl of Donegal estate in Co. Cork, inherited by Smith Barry family, 1702-1857. T3364 ; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Copy of grant of arms to William Peters Smith of Belmont, Raheny, Co. Dublin and to Maria Frances, his wife, only surviving daughter of Rev. Richard Dickson of Virmount, Co. Limerick, by Anna, daughter of Sir James Chatterton, Bart. of Castle Mahon, Co. Cork on their assuming under Royal Licence the name and arms of Smith Chatterton, April 1, 1874. GO Ms. 109, pp. 293-4 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources