Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bateson

Family title

Baron Deramore


Estate(s)

Name Description
Dickson (Kildimo) Burke's "Landed Gentry of Ireland" (1912) records members of the Dickson family living at Ballyhonogue, Clonshire and Ballynaguile, county Limerick in the 18th century. Stephen Dickson and his wife Mary Lane had six sons. The youngest son, Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguille, married twice. The only child of his first marriage was a daughter who married Richard Power of Munroe, county Tipperary. The Power family succeeded the Dicksons at Clonshire. In 1775 Samuel married secondly Mary Norris of Limerick city and they had at least ninne children. Their eldest son Stephen was a barrister and Commissioner of Bankrupts and he bought the county Limerick estate of the Dillons of Clonbrock in 1831 amounting to about 3,000 acres. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record the representatives of Stephen Dickson, Limerick, holding lands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, Loughill, Kilmoylan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid and Kilmurry, barony of Clanwilliam. Stephen Dickson died unmarried in 1839 and his estate appears to have been dispersed among a number of his brothers and nephews. Stephen Dickson's brothers, Reverend Richard Dickson and Major General William Dickson, were his only male siblings who married and had children. In the early 1850s Reverend Richard Dickson of Vermount, Clarina, county Limerick, held townlands in the parishes of Dunmoylan, barony of Shanid, Fedamore, barony of Smallcounty, Kilkeedy, barony of Pubblebrien and Doon, barony of Coonagh. He was agent to the Barker estate in county Limerick in the early 19th century. He married Anne, daughter of Sir James Chatterton, 1st Baronet, and had a son, Samuel Frederick Dickson of Mulcair and Creaves, who owned a county Limerick estate of 2,540 acres in the 1870s. Samuel F. Dickson's brother, Reverend William Richard Dickson of Berkshire, owned a further 1,150 acres in county Limerick. Their sister, Rebecca Caroline, married Reverend William Francis Maunsell of the Spa Hill family and rector of Kildimo. Reverend Maunsell's only son, Colonel William Maunsell, assumed the surname Dickson in 1900 and succeeded to the estates of his uncle S.F. Dickson. He married his first cousin, Frances Maunsell and they had four daughters. Colonel Dickson had addresses at Kildimo House, county Limerick and Bournemouth, England in 1910. This family's surname is often spelt "Dixon" in contemporary official records.
Bateson Thomas Bateson, from Lancashire, bought land in county Down in the mid 18th century and settled there. In 1818 his grandson, Robert Bateson, was created a baronet. In 1811 Robert married Catherine, youngest daughter of Samuel Dickson of Ballynaguille, county Limerick. At the time of Griffith's Valuation two of their sons, Thomas and Richard, held land in the parishes of Ardagh, Dunmoylan, Rathronan and Shanagolden, barony of Shanid, county Limerick. In the 1870s three Bateson brothers, Sir Thomas of Belvoir Park, Belfast, Colonel Richard of Knightsbridge Barrack, London and Samuel S., of Bolton Street, London, owned 2,927, 1,808 and 1,394 acres respectively in county Limerick. Sir Thomas Bateson also owned 6,348 acres in county Down, 815 acres in county Londonderry and 266 acres in county Antrim. He was a member of Parliament and was created Baron Deramore in 1885.