Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Digby (Tireragh)

The Digby family held land in various parts of Tireragh barony as well as property in the town of Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation K.H. Digby was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilglass, barony of Tireragh. They would appear to have inherited portions of the original Wood estate through the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Wood, to William Digby of Geashill and Dean of Clonfert, in the later eighteenth century. Kenelm H. Digby owned over 800 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. He was a well known author, who had converted to Catholicism c.1830 and married Jane Mary Dillon of Mount Dillon. He died in 1880. In the 1880s Bateman records the late K.H. Digby as the owner of over 3,500 acres in Ireland in counties Kildare, Sligo, Westmeath and Wicklow. Caleb H. Digby is also recorded as the lessor of lands in the barony of Leyny at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Joseph McCarthy, M.D. was leasing property from him in the parish of Kilmacteige, barony of Leyny. In the 1870s he owned over 550 acres in county Sligo.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Drummartin Drumartin Kilmacteige Tobercurry Breencorragh Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G440131
OS Sheet: 37, 31
Discovery map: 24