Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Digby


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wood The Wood family had held property in Sligo since at least the early 17th century, probably through Thomas Wood, Constable of Ballymote Castle in 1592. A family member is alleged to have perished in the Rebellion of 1641. Some of the family property in Corran barony became part of the Bromhead estate in the 19th century when Judith Wood married Sir Gonville Bromhead of Thurlby Hall, Lincolnshire. Other parts of the property were inherited by the Digby family though the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Wood, to William Digby, dean of Clonfert, in later eighteenth century. The family bacame united with the Martins, another influential Sligo family, though the inheritence of the Martin's Cleveragh estate by Mrs. Anne Wood, nee Martin.
Digby (Tireragh) The Digby family held land in various parts of Tireragh barony as well as property in the town of Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation K.H. Digby was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilglass, barony of Tireragh. They would appear to have inherited portions of the original Wood estate through the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Wood, to William Digby of Geashill and Dean of Clonfert, in the later eighteenth century. Kenelm H. Digby owned over 800 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. He was a well known author, who had converted to Catholicism c.1830 and married Jane Mary Dillon of Mount Dillon. He died in 1880. In the 1880s Bateman records the late K.H. Digby as the owner of over 3,500 acres in Ireland in counties Kildare, Sligo, Westmeath and Wicklow. Caleb H. Digby is also recorded as the lessor of lands in the barony of Leyny at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Joseph McCarthy, M.D. was leasing property from him in the parish of Kilmacteige, barony of Leyny. In the 1870s he owned over 550 acres in county Sligo.
McCarthy In the 1870s Helena McCarthy, with an address in Dublin, is recorded as the owner of over 900 acres in county Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Joseph McCarthy, MD, was leasing some land and a house at Drummartin, barony of Leyny, from the Digby estate.