Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wood

Description

St. John's


Estate(s)

Name Description
Martin (later Wood-Martin) The Martin family owned extensive property in Sligo town and surrounding area. Many served in political life of the county and the town. In the 19th century the Martin estate became united with the equally signicant Wood estate. Some rentals of the Martin estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. The historian and antiquarian, W.G. Wood-Martin, was of this family. The family also held property in County Galway. Abraham Martin of Cleveragh is recorded as owning 396 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Reverend Henry Martin is recorded as owning over 1000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s.
Wood The Wood family had held property in Sligo since at least the early 17th century, probably through Thomas Wood, Constable of Ballymote Castle in 1592. A family member is alleged to have perished in the Rebellion of 1641. Some of the family property in Corran barony became part of the Bromhead estate in the 19th century when Judith Wood married Sir Gonville Bromhead of Thurlby Hall, Lincolnshire. Other parts of the property were inherited by the Digby family though the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Wood, to William Digby, dean of Clonfert, in later eighteenth century. The family bacame united with the Martins, another influential Sligo family, though the inheritence of the Martin's Cleveragh estate by Mrs. Anne Wood, nee Martin.
Digby (Tireragh) The Digby family held land in various parts of Tireragh barony as well as property in the town of Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation K.H. Digby was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilglass, barony of Tireragh. They would appear to have inherited portions of the original Wood estate through the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Wood, to William Digby of Geashill and Dean of Clonfert, in the later eighteenth century. Kenelm H. Digby owned over 800 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. He was a well known author, who had converted to Catholicism c.1830 and married Jane Mary Dillon of Mount Dillon. He died in 1880. In the 1880s Bateman records the late K.H. Digby as the owner of over 3,500 acres in Ireland in counties Kildare, Sligo, Westmeath and Wicklow. Caleb H. Digby is also recorded as the lessor of lands in the barony of Leyny at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Joseph McCarthy, M.D. was leasing property from him in the parish of Kilmacteige, barony of Leyny. In the 1870s he owned over 550 acres in county Sligo.
Bromhead Baronets Bromhead of Thurlby Hall in Lincolnshire held land in Sligo by virtue of a marriage in 1823 between Sir E.G. Bromhead and Judith Christine, youngest daughter of James Wood of Woodville. In the 1870s Lady Bromhead is recorded as the owner of over 100 acres in county Sligo. The Congested Districts Board later acquired over 700 acres, the property of Sir. B. Parnell, later Bromhead.