Ignatius Kelly, son of Edmund Kelly of Castleruby, was residing at Carrigens at the time of the Census of Elphin in 1749. The Kellys of Cargins owned an estate in the parishes of Ogulla and Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon and Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh, county Roscommon in the 18th and 19th centuries. The male line died out following the death of Daniel Kelly circa 1852. His sister Jane was married to William Kelly of Turrock and his daughter Jane was married to John Talbot D'Arcy. His grandmother was also a Kelly of Turrrock. In May 1852 the estate of Daniel Kelly amounting to over 3,700 acres was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. Cargins was bought by Captain Drought and other purchasers included Anthony F. Nugent, Edward Senior and the Reverend Peter Toler. One lot was readvertised in 1853 Almost 200 acres owned by Francis Kelly in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlrea, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in January, 1866. Mr. McDonnell was the purchaser.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), French & Kelly, 25 May 1852 & 25 Jan 1853, Vols 15 & 20, MRGS 39/007 & 39/009, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Pedigree of O’Kelly & Kelly of Gallach, Mullaghmore, Aghrim, Clogher, Athleague, Cargins & Castle Ruby, Co Roscommon, Fedane, Co Galway, Castlegar & Woodstock, Co Mayo, 195-1841. GO MS 175: 12-24; National Library of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 89
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II,447
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Roscommon: Vol III, 231
- TAYLOR, George & SKINNER, Andrew. ''Maps of the Roads of Ireland, surveyed in 1777 and corrected down to 1783''. Facsimile of 2nd edition. Shannon: Irish University Press, 1969: 238
- LEGG, Marie Louise (ed). ''Census of Elphin 1749''. Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2004: 384 & 386
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 421 (Cargans)
Modern printed sources
- KELLY, Joseph M. ''(O) Kelly People and Places''. Whitegate: Ballinakella Press, 2003: 86
- GORMLEY, Mary (ed). ''Tulsk parish in historic Maígh Aí''. Tulsk, county Roscommon: [the author], 1989. : 144-145.
- GORMLEY, Mary (ed). ''Tulsk parish in historic Maígh Aí''. Tulsk, county Roscommon: [the author], 1989. : 144-145
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 56
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sales, 12 January 1866, p.3
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court sale reports, 27 May 1852, p.4.