Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Toler (Bloomfield)

Description

A family of clerics who intermarried with the Aylwards of Shankill Castle, county Kilkenny.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Devenish The Devenish family were resident in county Roscommon from the 17th century. By the late 18th century William Devenish was living at Rush Hill. The families of two of his sons were resident at Rush Hill and Mount Pleasant throughout the 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation one of his younger sons, Robert Devenish, held land from Reverend William Handcock and also from William Lloyd in the parish of Aughrim, barony and county of Roscommon and in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North. Robert's older brother, John Devenish, held land in the parish of Lissonuffy, barony of Roscommon. Over 600 acres of the estate of John Devenish was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in July 1873. These lands were situated in the baronies of Frenchpark and Roscommon. The Irish Times reported that they were sold to John Grady and Thomas Conry, the sales realising over £7500. In the 1870s George Devenish, of Delgany, county Wicklow and John Devenish of Rushill, Drumsna held 54 and 35 acres respectively in the county while John Devenish of Mountpleasant, Strokestown, still owned 597 acres. Gilbert Mahon held land in the parish of Lissonuffy, barony and county of Roscommon in the mid 19th century. The ''Landowners of Ireland'' record Gilbert Mahon "now John Devenish", Rushill, owning 365 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.
Toler (Bloomfield) In the mid 19th century the Reverend Peter Toler held lands in the parishes of Kilcooley and Killukin, barony and county of Roscommon. He was the son of the Reverend John Toler, rector of Kentstown, county Meath and in 1835 he married Mary Anne Aylward of Shankill Castle, county Kilkenny. Their son succeeded to the Aylward estate following the death of his uncle in 1884. Their daughter married in 1869 Robert Devenish of Cloonfinlough House. In 1876 the Reverend Peter Toler was recorded as owning 218 acres in county Roscommon. Hector C. Toler Aylward owned 110 acres of untenanted land at Bloomfield in 1906.
Kelly (Cargins) Ignatius Kelly, son of Edmund Kelly of Castleruby, was residing at Carrigens at the time of the Census of Elphin in 1749. The Kellys of Cargins owned an estate in the parishes of Ogulla and Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon and Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh, county Roscommon in the 18th and 19th centuries. The male line died out following the death of Daniel Kelly circa 1852. His sister Jane was married to William Kelly of Turrock and his daughter Jane was married to John Talbot D'Arcy. His grandmother was also a Kelly of Turrrock. In May 1852 the estate of Daniel Kelly amounting to over 3,700 acres was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. Cargins was bought by Captain Drought and other purchasers included Anthony F. Nugent, Edward Senior and the Reverend Peter Toler. One lot was readvertised in 1853 Almost 200 acres owned by Francis Kelly in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlrea, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in January, 1866. Mr. McDonnell was the purchaser.