Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Shaw (Newford)

The Shaw family held land and premises in the towns of Athenry and Galway in the early 18th century. Their residence appears to have been at Newford, in the parish and barony of Athenry. The family were connected through marriage with the Gregory family of Coole, as Henry Gregory, who had originally owned land in Limerick, married Mary Shawe in the early 18th century. Their son Robert purchased the Coole estate in the 1760s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Woodstock Pollagh Rahoon Galway Barna 44 Galway Galway OSI Ref: M243 291
OS Sheet: 81
Discovery map: 45
Newford Newford Athenry Loughrea Athenry 108 Athenry Galway OSI Ref: M494268
OS Sheet: 84
Discovery map: 46

Archival sources

  • W.B. Scott, solicitor's collection, includes mortgage & bond re lands in Co Clare, John Walcot to Henry Croasdaile of Ruin, Queen's Co (Co Laois) for use of Robert Shaw of Newford & his wife Alice Croasdaile, 1712. Small Accs. Index 76, D.10,276-10,277; National Archives of Ireland
  • Shawe pedigree. GO MS 178:434-437; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources