Landed Estates
NUI Galway



Name Description
Miller (Milford) A family of Cromwellian settlers who were granted over 1,000 acres in the parishes of Kilmainemore and Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in 1667. Originally established at Ballycusheen they settled at Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 18th century. They also held lands along the shore of Killary harbour in the 18th century from the Blakes of Renvyle and inherited part of the Cloghastookeen estate, parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway, through marriage with a Croasdaile heiress. Croasdaile Bowen Miller is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, in 1855. In 1876 the Milford estate was comprised of 1404 acres in county Mayo and 651 acres in county Galway. It was reduced in size by sales to the Congested Districts' Board and the Land Commission but the Ormsby family, who inherited the property from the Millers early in the 20th century, still farm 300+ acres. This is one of the few county Mayo estates still in the possession of the descendants of the original grantees.
Croasdaile The Croasdaile family had acquired property in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway through the marriage of Thomas Croasdaile and a member of the Waddington family of Cloghstoken/Cloghastookeen in the 17th century. This estate was part of the property of the Miller family of Milford, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in the 19th century. The Croasdailes also bought land in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway, from the sale of part of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport, county Mayo at the end of the 17th century. Thomas Croasdaile of Cloghstoken also bought nearly 2,000 Irish acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare in 1705 from Charles Boyle, 3rd Earl of Cork. He married Mercy Ringrose of Moynoe, Scarriff, county Clare and left a number of daughters as his heiresses.
Ussher [Usher] (Eastwell) This family share a common ancestry with the other Ussher families in Ireland. At the end of the 17th century William Ussher married Lettice, daughter and co heiress of Sir Henry Waddington, and part of the Waddington estates in county Galway passed to the Ussher family. Christopher Usher of Eastwell is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. The house at his property at Eastwell, in the parish of Killalaghtan, barony of Kilconnell, was valued at £79 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He was also one of the principal lessors in the parish. At the same time, Francis Usher was leasing a property valued at £12 in the townland of Prospect Demesne, parish of Meelick, barony of Longford, to Joseph Cowan. The demesne and house at Prospect were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in November 1863. The schedule indicates that Rev. John Usher had leased Prospect to Joseph Henry Cowan for three lives from February 1853. The Irish Times reports that Mr. Cowan purchased the property for £760. Peter Fitzgerald, the Knight of Kerry, was the petitoner to the sale. In the 1870s Christopher Usher's estate amounted to over 3500 acres while William Usher held over 500 acres in the Kilconnell area. In 1906 Isabella Ussher owned Rocklands House, parish of Oranmore as well as 80 acres of untenanted land.
Brady (Williamstadt) The Brady family in county Clare were descended from Hugh Brady, post-Reformation bishop of Meath. The family were associated with several county Clare houses including Williamstadt and Raheen, near Tuamgraney. William Brady of Williamstadt was the second son of Henry Brady and his wife Mary Molony. In 1790 he bought land in the Whitegate locality of county Galway from the Croasdailes. William's granddaughter Mary succeeded to Williamstadt in 1817 and she married Dr Francis Cornelius Sampson in 1833. The estate of Hugh Brady, principally situated in the barony of Tulla, county Clare but with lands in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in November 1854. Hugh Brady is recorded as the principal lessor in the parish of Kilbarron, barony of Leitrim, county Galway, in Griffith's Valuation.
Shaw (Newford) The Shaw family held land and premises in the towns of Athenry and Galway in the early 18th century. Their residence appears to have been at Newford, in the parish and barony of Athenry. The family were connected through marriage with the Gregory family of Coole, as Henry Gregory, who had originally owned land in Limerick, married Mary Shawe in the early 18th century. Their son Robert purchased the Coole estate in the 1760s.
Molony (Kiltanon) This family were established in county Clare from the early 17th century and the Kiltanon branch are descended from a younger son of the Molonys of Cragg. James Molony married Elizabeth, one of the daughters and co heiresses of Thomas Croasdaile of Cloghstoken, county Galway and his wife Mercy Ringrose of Moynoe, Scarriff. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Molony estate was comprised of 24 townlands in the parish of Tulla and nine townlands in the parish of Feakle, barony of Tulla Upper. They also held land in the parishes of Abbey and Oughtmama, barony of Burren. This estate of over 10,000 acres was in the possession of Major William Mills Molony of Kiltanon in the 1870s. The sale of over 5,000 acres of this estate to the Congested Districts' Board was agreed in 1909.