Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dowell (Skehaghard)

The sale rental of Edmund Dowell's estate records that Allen Dowell bought the Burke portion of his estate in 1813 for £30,000 and the Walsh portion for £8,000 in 1821. He is stated to have spent thousands of pounds in developing the estate and building the house. The sale rental includes a lithograph of the house. Allen Dowell may have been a Dublin wine merchant with business interests in Spain. The estate of 4,401 acres was sold to Allan Pollok in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Mrs Dowell of 5 Russell Place, Dublin, owned 170 acres in county Roscommon. This was the 170 acre townland of Carrownagullagh, parish of Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, held by Edward Dowell at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1678 Allen Dowell, son and heir of James, was granted 74 acres including part of Carrownagullagh by royal patent.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Skehaghard Skehaghard Kilbegnet Glennamaddy Creggs 74 Ballymoe Galway OSI Ref: M735 609
OS Sheet: 19
Discovery map: 40