Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Burke (Glinsk)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Pollok (Lismany) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Allan Pollok was the owner of considerable property in various parts of east county Galway. He was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Donanaghta and Kilquain, barony of Longford as well as in Ahascragh, barony of Clonmacnowen. Pollok was originally from Scotland and had purchased extensive estates in county Galway in the Encumbered Estates Court in the early 1850s, including the two Burke estates of Glinsk and Creggs in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe. A large portion of the Burke estate was sold to Allen Dowell in 1813 for £30,000. Edmund Dowell sold his estate of 4,401 acres in 1851. It was purchased by Pollok who also bought portions of the West, St.George, Bisset, Eyre and Daly estates in the barony of Longford. Pollok's main residence was at Lismany, near Ballinasloe. In the 1870s he is recorded as holding over 29,000 acres in county Galway as well as a small amount of property in county Dublin. In 1881 he was succeeded by his son John, who married a daughter of John C. R. Bingham, 4th Lord Clanmorris. John's representatives owned over 1000 acres of untenanted demesne land at Lismanny in 1906. They held over 500 acres of untenanted land in the Eyrecourt area as well as the houses at Ballynamuddagh and Cloghbrack.
Burke (Keeloges) The Burkes of Keeloges were a junior branch of the Burkes of Glinsk, county Galway. William Burke of Keeloges married Margaret Coleman and had two sons. Their eldest son Richard of Keeloges had a son, William Burke of Knocknagur, part of Kilcreevanty, parish of Kilbennan, who held land in the parish of Claregalway, barony of Clare, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Thomas H. Burke, Under-secretary of State, murdered in the Phoenix Park in 1882, was a member of this family. Major William Burke, the second son of William and Margaret Burke, acquired part of the Bermingham and Quansbury estates by his marriage to Matilda, daughter of William St Lawrence, 2nd Earl of Howth and his first wife Mary, daughter of Thomas Bermingham, 1st Earl of Louth and his wife Mary Daly of Quansbury. The Quansbury and Bermingham estates of William Burke, in the baronies of Longford and Dunmore, county Galway, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1850. This property included Quansbury Lodge, in the townland of Stowlin, barony of Longford. The Bermingham estate of William Burke was in the possession of Edward Blake, Matthew Carney and Patrick McCormack at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Kirwans of Tuam were land agents for Sir Thomas Burke's estate at Kilcreevanty, Knocknagur, Knockdoe and Lehid in the first decade of the 20th century.
Burke (Glinsk) Ulick Burke of Glinsk, parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, was created a baronet on 2 Aug 1628. Following the death of the 12th baronet in 1884 the title reverted to a descendant of the 4th baronet, namely Theobald Hubert Burke, fourth son of William Burke of Knocknagur. Sir Ulick Burke was granted 4,222 acres in the barony of Ballymoe, by patent dated 23 Feb 1678. The Burke estates at Glinsk and Creggs were advertised for sale in 1853 and both were bought by Allan Pollok. The Glinsk estate was comprised of 3,361 acres in the parish of Ballynakill and the Creggs estate amounted to 4,052 acres in the parish of Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe.
Daly (Quainsborough/Quansbury) Peter Daly of Quansbury was the fourth son of Denis Daly of Carrownakelly, county Galway, a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas at the end of the 17th century. He purchased the Quansbury estate in 1722 from the Earl of Clanricarde. He extended his estate a few years later when he bought some of the estate of the Burkes of Glinsk in north county Galway. Peter Daly married Elizabeth Blake of Ardfry and they had 3 daughters. Margaret, the youngest, married as his second wife Thomas Bermingham 1st Earl of Louth. By this marriage Quansbury Lodge and much of the Quansbury estate passed into the possession of the descendants of the Earl of Louth's daughters.
Dowell (Skehaghard) The sale rental of Edmund Dowell's estate records that Allen Dowell bought the Burke portion of his estate in 1813 for £30,000 and the Walsh portion for £8,000 in 1821. He is stated to have spent thousands of pounds in developing the estate and building the house. The sale rental includes a lithograph of the house. Allen Dowell may have been a Dublin wine merchant with business interests in Spain. The estate of 4,401 acres was sold to Allan Pollok in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Mrs Dowell of 5 Russell Place, Dublin, owned 170 acres in county Roscommon. This was the 170 acre townland of Carrownagullagh, parish of Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, held by Edward Dowell at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1678 Allen Dowell, son and heir of James, was granted 74 acres including part of Carrownagullagh by royal patent.