Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dowell


Estate(s)

Name Description
Burke (Glinsk) Ulick Burke of Glinsk, parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, was created a baronet on 2 Aug 1628. Following the death of the 12th baronet in 1884 the title reverted to a descendant of the 4th baronet, namely Theobald Hubert Burke, fourth son of William Burke of Knocknagur. Sir Ulick Burke was granted 4,222 acres in the barony of Ballymoe, by patent dated 23 Feb 1678. The Burke estates at Glinsk and Creggs were advertised for sale in 1853 and both were bought by Allan Pollok. The Glinsk estate was comprised of 3,361 acres in the parish of Ballynakill and the Creggs estate amounted to 4,052 acres in the parish of Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe.
Dowell (Skehaghard) The sale rental of Edmund Dowell's estate records that Allen Dowell bought the Burke portion of his estate in 1813 for £30,000 and the Walsh portion for £8,000 in 1821. He is stated to have spent thousands of pounds in developing the estate and building the house. The sale rental includes a lithograph of the house. Allen Dowell may have been a Dublin wine merchant with business interests in Spain. The estate of 4,401 acres was sold to Allan Pollok in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Mrs Dowell of 5 Russell Place, Dublin, owned 170 acres in county Roscommon. This was the 170 acre townland of Carrownagullagh, parish of Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, held by Edward Dowell at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1678 Allen Dowell, son and heir of James, was granted 74 acres including part of Carrownagullagh by royal patent.