Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Pollok


Estate(s)

Name Description
Pollok (Lismany) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Allan Pollok was the owner of considerable property in various parts of east county Galway. He was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Donanaghta and Kilquain, barony of Longford as well as in Ahascragh, barony of Clonmacnowen. Pollok was originally from Scotland and had purchased extensive estates in county Galway in the Encumbered Estates Court in the early 1850s, including the two Burke estates of Glinsk and Creggs in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe. A large portion of the Burke estate was sold to Allen Dowell in 1813 for £30,000. Edmund Dowell sold his estate of 4,401 acres in 1851. It was purchased by Pollok who also bought portions of the West, St.George, Bisset, Eyre and Daly estates in the barony of Longford. Pollok's main residence was at Lismany, near Ballinasloe. In the 1870s he is recorded as holding over 29,000 acres in county Galway as well as a small amount of property in county Dublin. In 1881 he was succeeded by his son John, who married a daughter of John C. R. Bingham, 4th Lord Clanmorris. John's representatives owned over 1000 acres of untenanted demesne land at Lismanny in 1906. They held over 500 acres of untenanted land in the Eyrecourt area as well as the houses at Ballynamuddagh and Cloghbrack.
Kenney/Fitzgerald-Kenney The Kenneys, originally from Somerset, settled in county Wexford in the late 16th century. In the 18th century James Kenney of Wexford married Catherine O'Kelly and bought the estate of Kilclogher from Lord Trimblestown. Kilclogher had been forfeited by the O'Kellys in the 17th century. The family became Fitzgerald Kenney in the late 18th century and were recorded as non resident proprietors in county Galway in 1824. By the mid 19th century the Kilclogher estate included lands in the parishes of Moylough and Monivea, barony of Tiaquin and in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. Some of the land in the barony of Ballymoe was sold in 1855 to Allan Pollok. In 1870 James C. Fitzgerald Kenney married Helena, daughter and co-heir of Major Patrick Crean Lynch, and their children inherited both the Kilclogher estate of the Kenneys and the Clogher estate in county Mayo of the Crean Lynches. They were the parents of James FitzGerald Kenney, Cumann na nGaedheal TD for south Mayo 1927-1944 and Minister for Justice 1927-1932. In the 1870s the county Galway estate of the Fitzgerald Kenneys amounted to 3,540 acres and the county Mayo estate to 855 acres. A younger son, Thomas Henry Kenney of Ballyforan House (Claremont), county Roscommon and France, who died in 1864, had over 2,300 acres of land in four counties, including counties Galway and Roscommon. In July 1874 his Irish lands were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by his two daughters, Sophia A. Kenney and Adele Schaffers. The Irish Times reported that some lots were sold by private contract and others to Mr. William Fry, solicitor, in trust.
Daly (Eyrecourt & Bellgrove) Woodview House and 89 acres, the property of Richard Gore Daly, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in June 1857. The schedule indicates that this property was formerly part of the Eyrecourt Castle estate, "lately sold in this court". Lane indicates that this property was purchased by Allen Pollok. Richard Gore Daly of Woodview was the son of Hyacinth Richard Daly of Mount Pleasant, county Galway, a branch of the Raford family. In the 1860s Hyacinth Richard Daly owned 130 acres in fee simple at Bellgrove, parish of Finnoe, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. This estate was offered for sale in June and November 1863. It included Bellgrove House which was in an unfinished state.
Burke (Glinsk) Ulick Burke of Glinsk, parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, was created a baronet on 2 Aug 1628. Following the death of the 12th baronet in 1884 the title reverted to a descendant of the 4th baronet, namely Theobald Hubert Burke, fourth son of William Burke of Knocknagur. Sir Ulick Burke was granted 4,222 acres in the barony of Ballymoe, by patent dated 23 Feb 1678. The Burke estates at Glinsk and Creggs were advertised for sale in 1853 and both were bought by Allan Pollok. The Glinsk estate was comprised of 3,361 acres in the parish of Ballynakill and the Creggs estate amounted to 4,052 acres in the parish of Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe.
Dowell (Skehaghard) The sale rental of Edmund Dowell's estate records that Allen Dowell bought the Burke portion of his estate in 1813 for £30,000 and the Walsh portion for £8,000 in 1821. He is stated to have spent thousands of pounds in developing the estate and building the house. The sale rental includes a lithograph of the house. Allen Dowell may have been a Dublin wine merchant with business interests in Spain. The estate of 4,401 acres was sold to Allan Pollok in the mid 1850s. In the 1870s Mrs Dowell of 5 Russell Place, Dublin, owned 170 acres in county Roscommon. This was the 170 acre townland of Carrownagullagh, parish of Kiltrustan, barony of Roscommon, held by Edward Dowell at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1678 Allen Dowell, son and heir of James, was granted 74 acres including part of Carrownagullagh by royal patent.
West (Lismany) In June 1853 an estate of almost 11,000 acres in the baronies of Longford and Clonmacnowen, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court by Eliza Felicia West, widow of John Beatty West, Member of Parliament. Pádraig Lane records that this property was bought by Allan Pollock from Eliza West for £105,000. Eliza West was the daughter of Charles Burton and mother in law of Sir William Westbrook Burton. http://lawrencetown.com/farming.htm