Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kenney/Fitzgerald-Kenney

The Kenneys, originally from Somerset, settled in county Wexford in the late 16th century. In the 18th century James Kenney of Wexford married Catherine O'Kelly and bought the estate of Kilclogher from Lord Trimblestown. Kilclogher had been forfeited by the O'Kellys in the 17th century. The family became Fitzgerald Kenney in the late 18th century and were recorded as non resident proprietors in county Galway in 1824. By the mid 19th century the Kilclogher estate included lands in the parishes of Moylough and Monivea, barony of Tiaquin and in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. Some of the land in the barony of Ballymoe was sold in 1855 to Allan Pollok. In 1870 James C. Fitzgerald Kenney married Helena, daughter and co-heir of Major Patrick Crean Lynch, and their children inherited both the Kilclogher estate of the Kenneys and the Clogher estate in county Mayo of the Crean Lynches. They were the parents of James FitzGerald Kenney, Cumann na nGaedheal TD for south Mayo 1927-1944 and Minister for Justice 1927-1932. In the 1870s the county Galway estate of the Fitzgerald Kenneys amounted to 3,540 acres and the county Mayo estate to 855 acres. A younger son, Thomas Henry Kenney of Ballyforan House (Claremont), county Roscommon and France, who died in 1864, had over 2,300 acres of land in four counties, including counties Galway and Roscommon. In July 1874 his Irish lands were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by his two daughters, Sophia A. Kenney and Adele Schaffers. The Irish Times reported that some lots were sold by private contract and others to Mr. William Fry, solicitor, in trust.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Clogher Clogher Burriscarra Castlebar Clogher 59 Carra Mayo OSI Ref: M180 785
OS Sheet: 100
Discovery map: 38
Corrandoo House Corrandoo Moylough Tuam Monivea 191 Tiaquin Galway OSI Ref: M563 372
OS Sheet: 72
Discovery map: 46
Killaclogher House/Spring Park Killaclogher Monivea Tuam Monivea 191 Tiaquin Galway OSI Ref: M542387
OS Sheet: 58
Discovery map: 46
Claremont Ballyforan Taghboy Athlone Taghboy 8 Athlone Roscommon OSI Ref: M823 465
OS Sheet: 47
Discovery map: 47

Archival sources

  • Pedigree of Fitzgerald Kenney of Kilclogher & Correndoo, Co Galway & Ballytarusney, Co Wexford, 1653-1856. GO MS 178: 184-188 & 209-214; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of royal licence to Thomas Nugent Kenney of Correndoo Park & Isabella Kingsmill his wife to take the name of Kingsmill only, 18 Jan 1866. GO MS 152: 544-545a; National Library of Ireland
  • Copy of grant of arms to Thomas Nugent Kenney and his wife Isabella on their assuming the name and arms of Kingsmill, 25 Jan 1866. GO MS 109: 95-96; National Library of Ireland
  • Certificate of arms to Lt Jacques Louis Lionel Kenney, 22 Oct 1858. GO MS 108: 245-246; National Library of Ireland
  • Confirmation of arms to the descendants of William Kenney of Kilclogher, 23 July 1855. GO MS 108: 85-86; National Library of Ireland
  • Accounts re the Fitzgerald Kenney estate at Kilclogher and the Kingsmill estate and the farm of Corrandoo, 1868-1876. LE32; James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Kenny, 6 Oct 1855, Vol 36, MRGS 39/017, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Kenny & Schaffers, 3 July 1874, Vol 116, MRGS 39/053, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Clogher photos & sales catalogue of household effects 24/27 Apr 1967. 011/047, 0094/006 & 087/048; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Currandoo photos. 039/098; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Estate papers of the Fitzgerald-Kenney family of Kilclogher, Co Galway microfilmed by courtesy of Kieran Thompson, April 2002, include title deeds, military & legal papers, 17th-19th centuries. MIC/667; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Kirwan Papers, include copy of a family settlement between James Kenney, his wife Jane Nugent and their son William Kenney re lands near Athenry. 27 Dec 1837. LE8/6; James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway
  • Common-place book of James Christopher Kenney, d. 1877; BA (TCD) 1847, JP, MIRIA; of 2 Merrion Square South, Dublin and Kilclogher, Monivea, Athenry, Co. Galway. IE TCD MS 11098; Trinity College Dublin

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources