Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kenney/Fitzgerald-Kenney


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lynch/Crean Lynch A junior branch of the Lynch Blosse family baronets, who obtained leases of the Clogher estate, in the parishes of Burriscarra and Drum, barony of Carra, and in the parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo, for 999 years from Sir Henry Lynch Blosse 8th Baronet in 1788. Family members had mercantile interests at Cadiz in Spain. In the 19th century Elizabeth Lynch married Andrew Crean Lynch of Hollybrook, parish of Tagheen, who bought the Clogher estate from his brother in law Patrick Lynch. By the 1860s Patrick Crean Lynch was in financial difficulties and advertised for sale both his Hollybrook and Clogher estates. Part of the Hollybrook estate was in the parishes of Kilbennan and Kilconla, barony of Dunmore, county Galway. The Irish Times reported details of the purchasers of some lots in this sale though other lots were adjourned. In 1870 one of of his daughters, Helena Mary, married James Charles FitzGerald Kenney of Kilclogher, county Galway. They were the parents of James FitzGerald Kenney, Cumann na nGaedheal TD for south Mayo 1927-1944 and Minister for Justice 1927-1932. In 1873, another daughter of Patrick Crean Lynch married Anthony Joseph MacDermott of Ramore, county Galway, and he and other persons sold over 3000 acres in county Mayo to the Congested Districts' Board in March 1913. Over 600 acres belonging to the Crean Lynchs in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 11 June 1914.
Pollok (Lismany) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Allan Pollok was the owner of considerable property in various parts of east county Galway. He was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Donanaghta and Kilquain, barony of Longford as well as in Ahascragh, barony of Clonmacnowen. Pollok was originally from Scotland and had purchased extensive estates in county Galway in the Encumbered Estates Court in the early 1850s, including the two Burke estates of Glinsk and Creggs in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe. A large portion of the Burke estate was sold to Allen Dowell in 1813 for £30,000. Edmund Dowell sold his estate of 4,401 acres in 1851. It was purchased by Pollok who also bought portions of the West, St.George, Bisset, Eyre and Daly estates in the barony of Longford. Pollok's main residence was at Lismany, near Ballinasloe. In the 1870s he is recorded as holding over 29,000 acres in county Galway as well as a small amount of property in county Dublin. In 1881 he was succeeded by his son John, who married a daughter of John C. R. Bingham, 4th Lord Clanmorris. John's representatives owned over 1000 acres of untenanted demesne land at Lismanny in 1906. They held over 500 acres of untenanted land in the Eyrecourt area as well as the houses at Ballynamuddagh and Cloghbrack.
Kenney/Fitzgerald-Kenney The Kenneys, originally from Somerset, settled in county Wexford in the late 16th century. In the 18th century James Kenney of Wexford married Catherine O'Kelly and bought the estate of Kilclogher from Lord Trimblestown. Kilclogher had been forfeited by the O'Kellys in the 17th century. The family became Fitzgerald Kenney in the late 18th century and were recorded as non resident proprietors in county Galway in 1824. By the mid 19th century the Kilclogher estate included lands in the parishes of Moylough and Monivea, barony of Tiaquin and in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. Some of the land in the barony of Ballymoe was sold in 1855 to Allan Pollok. In 1870 James C. Fitzgerald Kenney married Helena, daughter and co-heir of Major Patrick Crean Lynch, and their children inherited both the Kilclogher estate of the Kenneys and the Clogher estate in county Mayo of the Crean Lynches. They were the parents of James FitzGerald Kenney, Cumann na nGaedheal TD for south Mayo 1927-1944 and Minister for Justice 1927-1932. In the 1870s the county Galway estate of the Fitzgerald Kenneys amounted to 3,540 acres and the county Mayo estate to 855 acres. A younger son, Thomas Henry Kenney of Ballyforan House (Claremont), county Roscommon and France, who died in 1864, had over 2,300 acres of land in four counties, including counties Galway and Roscommon. In July 1874 his Irish lands were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by his two daughters, Sophia A. Kenney and Adele Schaffers. The Irish Times reported that some lots were sold by private contract and others to Mr. William Fry, solicitor, in trust.