Landed Estates
NUI Galway
Reference Source

MULLIGAN, Kevin. ''Vain transitory splendours: the Irish country house and the art of John Nankivell.'' Dublin: Irish Georgian Society, 2018.

Source Details

Category Modern printed sources

Estate Records Citing this Source

Found 33 estate records citing this source.

Reference Estate Name Estate Description
Alderford, pp.20-21. MacDermottroe This estate was centred around the house at Alderford, near Ballyfarnon, in County Roscommon. It inc...
Ardfry, pp.26-27. Blake (Ardfry) By patent dated 24 Feb 1681 the Blakes were granted almost 12,000 acres in counties Galway and Mayo,...
Ballydonelan, pp.28-29. Donnellan/Donelan An estate of over 3,000 acres in the baronies of Clonmacnowen and Kilconnell, county Galway, was gra...
Ballynaguarde, pp.30-31. Croker (Ballynagarde) The Crokers settled in county Limerick in the 17th century and were resident at Ballynagarde early i...
Ballynoe, pp.36-37. Cox (Ballynoe) Burke's (1886) records Robert Cox having received a grant of lands at Ballynoe, county Limerick, in...
Ballynoe, pp.36-37. Cox (Ballynoe) Burke's (1886) records Robert Cox having received a grant of lands at Ballynoe, county Limerick, in...
Castle Daly, pp.40-41. Daly (Castledaly) This branch of the Dalys were descended from the Dalys of Killimer and also Dalysgrove, near Ahascra...
Castle Taylor, pp.42-43. Shawe-Taylor Walter Taylor was granted almost a thousand acres in the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in Febru...
Castle Strange, pp.48-49. Mitchell (Castle Strange) Cornet Thomas Mitchell from Scotland settled at Castlestrange, county Roscommon in the mid 17th cent...
Cavetown, pp.50-51. Mahon (Cavetown) The Mahons of Cavetown, county Roscommon, were descended from Peter Mahon, the fourth son of Nichola...
Clonbrock, pp.54-55. Dillon (Clonbrock) The Dillons were a Norman family who initially received grants of land in Westmeath and who later ac...
Clonfert Pa;ace, pp.56-57. Trench (Clonfert) John E. Trench was a significant landowner in the parish of Ballymacward, barony of Kilconnell and t...
Dalyston, pp.64-65. Daly (Dalystown) In 1814 the Rt. Hon Denis Bowes Daly was the owner of the Dalystown estate, the son of Hyacinth Dal...
Dromore Castle, pp.70-71. Pery Sometime in the mid 17th century Susanna Sexton, eventually heiress to the Sexton estates in county...
Dunboy Castle, pp.78-79. Puxley Henry L. Puxley of Dunboy Castle was the owner of over 9000 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. Joh...
Dunmore House, pp.80-81. Shee Charles ffrench Blake Forster traces this family's lineage from O'Shee of county Tipperary, who late...
Dunsandle, pp.82-83. Daly (Dunsandle & Carnakelly) The Daly family of Dunsandle derived from Daly of Carnakelly in the parish of Kiltullagh. They bough...
Eyrecourt, pp.84-85. Eyre (Eyrecourt & Eyreville) Giles Eyre, Eyrecourt Castle and Thomas Knutford Eyre, Eyreville, are described as resident propriet...
Frenchpark, pp.86-87. French /ffrench (Frenchpark) Patrick French fitzStephen of Galway is recorded as the earliest member of the family to be associat...
Glengarrif Castle, pp.90-91. White/Hedges White Richard Hedges of Macroom Castle and Mount Hedges, county Cork, married Mary Eyre and had a son, Ric...
Hollymount, pp.96-97. Vesey In December 1698 John Vesey, Archbishop of Tuam from 1679 to 1716, bought almost 750 acres in the Ho...
Kilronan, pp.102-103. Tenison/Tennison/King-Tenison This branch of the Tenison family is descended from members of the family who settled in the north...
Lisheen, pp.112-113. Phibbs (Seafield) The Phibbs family acquired an estate in Kilmacowen in the late 18th century. The estate was based ar...
Menlough, pp.116-117. Blake (Menlo) The Blakes, raised to the peerage as baronets in 1622, were established at Menlough on the bank of t...
Moore Hall, pp.118-119. Moore (Moore Hall) An estate in the parishes of Ballintober, Ballyovey and Burriscarra in the barony of Carra, county M...
The Lion gate, Mote Park, pp.122-123. Crofton (Mote Park) The senior branch of the Crofton family settled at Ballymurray, county Roscommon in the 16th century...
Mount Plunkett, pp.124-125. Plunkett (Mountplunkett) The Plunketts were a Catholic family residing at Mountplunkett from the 18th century. Christopher Ge...
Mount Shannon, pp.126-127. FitzGibbon The FitzGibbon family were established at Ballysheedy, county Limerick, from the mid 18th century....
Rathpeak, pp.132-133. Lynch (Moycarn) Owen Lynch had an estate in the parish of Moore, barony of Moycarn, in the mid-nineteenth century. I...
Riddlestown, pp.136-137. Blennerhassett (Riddlestown) The Blennerhassett family acquired estates in county Kerry from the forfeitures of the Earl of Desmo...
Strokestown Park, pp.140-141. Mahon/Pakenham-Mahon In February 1666 Captain Nicholas Mahon was granted over 2,700 acres in the barony of Roscommon and...
Tyrone House, pp.150-151. St. George (Tyrone House) The St.George estate was centred on the house at Tyrone, parish of Drumacoo, barony of Dunkellin, bu...
Woodlawn, pp.156-157. Trench (Woodlawn) The Trench family at Woodlawn were one of a number of Trench families who came to prominence in coun...