The Plunkett estate in the parish of Ballyovey, barony of Carra, county Mayo, was bought by the Mitchells brothers, Abraham and Joseph, in 1875. The Mitchells were progressive mill owners with a well established family business in Bradford, England. On 1 Feb 1900 they sold the main bulk of their estate, amounting to 13,157 acres to the Congested Districts' Board for £16,599. A further 688 acres was purchased by the Board in November 1905. The Mitchells came to Toormakeady for holidays until 1913 when they sold the remainding 400 acres of their estate.
- Tourmakeady Lodge photos. 011/083; Irish Architectural Archive
- 1875.33.224, sale of estate to the Mitchell brothers, 29 July 1875; Registry of Deeds
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. '' 18th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 4927] HC 1909, xvi. Appendix XXXII: 135 & 137
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 356
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 311
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 318