||In 1786, Wilson refers to CastleMacGarret as the seat of D.G. Browne, "a handsome seat, surrounded with one of the best wooded demeses in Ireland". The house, built in 1694, was destroyed by fire in August 1811 and a replacement built in the Tudor Gothic style. Robert Graham, in his journal of September 1836, refers to the fire and that "the present house is constructed out of the old offices, but is amazingly comfortable as far as it goes". Held in fee by Geoffrey Browne at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £25. The house functioned as a nursing home after it was sold by the Brownes in 1964. It is still extant but unoccupied. In 2015 it was offered for sale.