Landed Estates
University of Galway

Moyaliff

Houses within 5km of this house

Displaying 12 houses.

Houses within 5km of Moyaliff

Displaying 12 houses.

House name Description
Graiguenoe In 1837 Lewis refers to C. Clarke "who has recently erected a spacious and elegant mansion on his estate". In 1850 this mansion was valued at £44.12 shillings and it was held in fee by Charles Clarke. Slater noted it as the seat of James Neville Clarke in 1894 and the Clarkes were still resident at Granguenoe Park in the early 20th century. The house was burnt in 1923. The site is now occupied by a stud farm.
Marlow An early 18th century house, the seat of a branch of the Pennefather family, with some early 20th century additions. Still extant, this house was the residence of Thomas Pennefather in 1814 and Edward Pennefather in the mid 19th century. He held the property in fee and the buildings were valued at £14. The Pennefathers were still resident at Marlow in the mid 20th century. Photo of Marlow
Castle Fogarty Lewis writes that Castle Fogarty was "the ancient seat of the O'Fogarty family from whom it descended to the present proprietor J. Lanigan". He describes it as a "square castellated mansion, with embattled towers at the angles". The seat of the Lenigan family in the 18th and 19th centuries [held from the Earls of Portarlington until the fee was purchased in the mid 19th century]. Noted by Slater as the seat of Captain Vivian Ryan-Lanigan in 1894. A ruin since it was burnt in 1922. Photo of Castle Fogarty
Mountalt Occupied by Martin Ryan in 1814 and in 1837 and held from J. Lenigan. James Lenigan is recorded as the occupier at the time of Griffith's Valuation, holding the property in fee, when the farm house and offices were valued at £7.
Crossoge Lewis refers to Prior Lodge as the residence and property of the Reverend Dr Prior. The house in Crossoge is named Prior Lodge on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. This house appears to have been replaced by another building, a short distance to the south, known as Crossoge House sometime in the mid 19th century. Occupied and held in fee with 92 acres by the Reverend John Prior at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £25.15 shillings. This house is still in use as a country residence. [This may be the house to which Wilson, writing in 1786, refers to as"Bachelor's Lodge", in this area, which was a seat of Mr. Roe]. Photo of Crossoge
Ballynera The residence of Richard Pennefather in 1837 and at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the house was valued at £10 and held in fee. A house is still extant at the site.
Farney Castle A seat of a branch of the Armstrong family. Wilson refers to this property as Farney Bridge in 1786, a seat of Mr. Armstrong. It was occupied by Captain Armstrong in 1814 and 1840, when the Ordnance Survey Name Books describe it as "a circular old castle to which a gentleman's residence has been attached". Major William Armstrong was the occupier in the early 1850s. The buildings were then valued at £42.10 shillings and held from the Reverend Garrett Wall. It was still in Armstrong possession in the 1870s. Farney Castle is still extant and occupied. Photo of Farney Castle
Raheen Park Located south east of Farneybridge this house was occupied by Edward Wilson in the mid 19th century, valued at £34 and held from William B. Armstrong. Raheen Park may have been previously known as Brasfort. Brasfort was the home of the Wilsons in the 1830s. Edward Wilson was Chief Magistrate of Police in county Tipperary in the 1820s. In 1820, his son, Edward Wilson, married Isabella, daughter of Thomas Goodricke Peacock of Fort Etna and they had a son, Thomas Goodricke Wilson, who married Mary Studdert in 1861 and emigrated to Canada. In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to E. Wilson as the proprietor of Raheen Park. Edward Wilson of Raheen Park died at Monkstown, county Dublin in 1880, aged 81, (see D.23260 in the National Archives).
Beakstown House Major Ledwell was resident at Beakstown in 1837 and the Ordnance Survey Name Books also mention it as his residence in 1840. At the time of Griffith's Valuation one house at Beakstown appears to be in use as an auxiliary poorhouse, held by the Reverend George Peacock from the Court of Chancery and valued at £22+. Another property seems to be labelled Abbey View on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but as Beakstown Cottage on the 25-inch map of the 1890s. The OS Name Books refer to this house as the residence of Mr. Mullvany, proprietor of Beakstown Flour Mills nearby. The name Beakstown Cottage had previously belonged to another property in Beakstown which is still extant [S087559]. The original Beakstown House does not appear to be extant.
Holycross House In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Holycross House as a gentleman's residence. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was owned by Rev. Garret Wall but was unoccupied. The house was valued at almost £24. A house still stands at this site which now appears to be in use as a presbytery. Photo of Holycross House
Abbeyfield / Gortnagowth In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Abbeyfield House as the residence of William Jones. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Jeremiah O'Brien was leasing this property from the Wall estate when it was valued at £15+ and included a mill. It is labelled Abbeyfield on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but as Gortnagowth on the 25-inch map of the 1890s. It is still extant.
Whitefort House The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Whitefort House as a gentleman's residence in 1840. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, this property was leased by John Jones from the Wall estate when it was valued at almost £10. It is still extant.