Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Newcastle

Estate(s)
Townland Castle Demesne
Civil Parish Newcastle
PLU Newcastle
DED Newcastle 117
County Limerick
Barony Glenquin
Description The original Fitzgerald castle was granted to the Courtenay family in 1591. The Castle was occupied by David Mahony and his son, Pierce Mahony, in the mid 18th century. Bence Jones writes that the residence of the Earls of Devon in county Limerick was a house of nine bays in the castle precincts. It was held by them in fee and valued at £55 at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This house was occupied by the agent to the Devon estate. Slater describes it as Courtenay Castle in 1894 when it was occupied by Charles Curling. In 1910 it was bought by the Curling family who had been agents and was burnt in 1922. The Castle remained in the possession of the Curlings until the 1940s.
Devon Castle, Newcastle West LM1991.0398 (Courtesy of Limerick Museum)

Property Location