Landed Estates
NUI Galway

de Montmorency

Family title

Viscount Mountmorres


Estate(s)

Name Description
Booth (Ebor Hall) At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Booth held 3 townlands in the parish of Cong and a townland in each of the parishes of Kilmainbeg and Kilmainmore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. These lands were parts of the estates of D'Arcy of Ballykine and ffrench of Claremont, county Roscommon, sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852. Lane contends that Booth sold them on to Joseph Skerrett Blake of Lissavally in 1857. Booth also held the townland of Tumneenaun from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College. Deputy Commissary General William Booth, who died in 1880 aged 88, served under Sir John Moore and the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsular War and was responsible for organising the provisions for the army while on campaign. After leaving the army he was Principal Clerk to the Survey of Ordnance at Dublin from 1824-1856. Semple writes that he built Ebor Hall in the mid 19th century. He later sold it to Lord Mountmorres, who was murdered nearby in 1880. Mrs Juliana Booth of Bath, Somerset, owned 1,252 acres in Queen's County (Offaly) in 1878. She was the second wife of William Booth. They married in 1846. Her first husband was James Butler Pratt, a member of the Pratt family of Cabragh Castle, county Cavan, to whom the Viscounts Mountmorres were also related. The General, his second wife Juliana and his two children by his first wife, Eliza Bisset, are all buried in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Ebor Hall later belonged to an architect named Hamilton and for most of the 20th century was owned by Dr Joseph Boyd and his son. see http://www.hallowesgenealogy.co.uk/halgen01.htm
de Montmorency Captain Harvey J.de Montmorency is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as holding the townlands of Cloongowla, parish of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine and Ballindrehid, parish of Kilconduff, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. Cloongowla was previously part of the estate of George Ruttledge and Ballindrehid of the Knoxes of Castlereagh. A rental kept by John Hearn, agent for the estate, was published in the South Mayo Family Research Journal 1989. In the 1870s Frederick de Montmorency of Broughillstown House, Baltinglass, county Wicklow, owned 1,022 acres in county Mayo and 428 acres in county Carlow.
de Montmorency (Ebor Hall) The Viscounts Mountmorres were descended from the Morres family, landowners in Co Kilkenny from the mid 17th century, who had assumed the name of de Montmorency. By 1865 William Browne de Montmorency owned Ebor Hall or was certainly living there as the ''Gentleman’s Magazine'' records the birth in Doncaster of his son and heir in March 1865 and gives the home address as Ebor Hall. There appears to be a family link between Mrs Booth, wife of Deputy Commissary General William Booth, who built Ebor Hall and the de Montmorency family through the Pratts of Cabragh Castle, county Cavan. William B. de Montmorency became the 5th Viscount in 1872. In 1876 Lord Mountmorres of Ebor Hall owned 300 acres in county Galway (acreage of townland of Tumneenaun) and in 1880 he was murdered on his way home to the house.