Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Booth (Ebor Hall)

At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Booth held 3 townlands in the parish of Cong and a townland in each of the parishes of Kilmainbeg and Kilmainmore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. These lands were parts of the estates of D'Arcy of Ballykine and ffrench of Claremont, county Roscommon, sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852. Lane contends that Booth sold them on to Joseph Skerrett Blake of Lissavally in 1857. Booth also held the townland of Tumneenaun from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College. Deputy Commissary General William Booth, who died in 1880 aged 88, served under Sir John Moore and the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsular War and was responsible for organising the provisions for the army while on campaign. After leaving the army he was Principal Clerk to the Survey of Ordnance at Dublin from 1824-1856. Semple writes that he built Ebor Hall in the mid 19th century. He later sold it to Lord Mountmorres, who was murdered nearby in 1880. Mrs Juliana Booth of Bath, Somerset, owned 1,252 acres in Queen's County (Offaly) in 1878. She was the second wife of William Booth. They married in 1846. Her first husband was James Butler Pratt, a member of the Pratt family of Cabragh Castle, county Cavan, to whom the Viscounts Mountmorres were also related. The General, his second wife Juliana and his two children by his first wife, Eliza Bisset, are all buried in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Ebor Hall later belonged to an architect named Hamilton and for most of the 20th century was owned by Dr Joseph Boyd and his son. see http://www.hallowesgenealogy.co.uk/halgen01.htm

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ebor Hall Tumneenaun Cong Oughterard Cloonbur 157 Ross Galway OSI Ref: M087 534
OS Sheet: 27
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), D’Arcy, 4 Nov 1852, Vol 18, MRGS 39/008, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), French, 11 May 1852, Vol 15, MRGS 39/007, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Mount Morris [Ebor Hall] photos. 022/065; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources