Landed Estates
NUI Galway

ffrench (Claremont)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Booth (Ebor Hall) At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Booth held 3 townlands in the parish of Cong and a townland in each of the parishes of Kilmainbeg and Kilmainmore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. These lands were parts of the estates of D'Arcy of Ballykine and ffrench of Claremont, county Roscommon, sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852. Lane contends that Booth sold them on to Joseph Skerrett Blake of Lissavally in 1857. Booth also held the townland of Tumneenaun from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College. Deputy Commissary General William Booth, who died in 1880 aged 88, served under Sir John Moore and the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsular War and was responsible for organising the provisions for the army while on campaign. After leaving the army he was Principal Clerk to the Survey of Ordnance at Dublin from 1824-1856. Semple writes that he built Ebor Hall in the mid 19th century. He later sold it to Lord Mountmorres, who was murdered nearby in 1880. Mrs Juliana Booth of Bath, Somerset, owned 1,252 acres in Queen's County (Offaly) in 1878. She was the second wife of William Booth. They married in 1846. Her first husband was James Butler Pratt, a member of the Pratt family of Cabragh Castle, county Cavan, to whom the Viscounts Mountmorres were also related. The General, his second wife Juliana and his two children by his first wife, Eliza Bisset, are all buried in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. Ebor Hall later belonged to an architect named Hamilton and for most of the 20th century was owned by Dr Joseph Boyd and his son. see http://www.hallowesgenealogy.co.uk/halgen01.htm
ffrench (Claremont) Gonville ffrench was a younger brother of the 3rd Baron ffrench of Castle ffrench, county Galway. He lived at Claremont, county Roscommon and held lands in county Mayo in the parishes of Kilmainebeg, Kilmainemore and Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, in county Galway in the parishes of Killeroran and Killian, barony of Killian and in county Roscommon in the parishes of Cam and Dysart, barony of Athlone. The lands in the parish of Cam were sold to Sir Thomas ffrench of Castleffrench in November 1792 by Robert Blakely who had bought them the previous July. They later formed part of Gonville ffrench's marriage settlement trust. Some of Gonville ffrench's county Galway estate was held from Nicholas D'Arcy. His interest in county Mayo lands may possibly have derived from his mother, a Redington of Kilcornan, county Galway, a family who had landed interests in county Mayo. His main tenant and agent was James Fox of Lakefield, Shrule. In 1851 and 1852 his assignee Henry Lyons advertised for sale his estates in counties Mayo and Roscommon, each amounting to just over a thousand acres. Some of the county Mayo estate was bought by William Booth, while another lot was purchased by Thomas H. Kenny. The Roscommon estate was still in Gonville ffrench's possession at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His interest in the fee farm rent of Gorteens, parish of Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, was sold by his assignees in 1867. The Irish Times notes that it was purchased by Mr. A. Kyne for over £1900. Gonville ffrench married Clare or Clarinda Kenney of Kilclogher, county Galway. They had no children and the ffrench interest in Claremont appears to have been inherited by Gonville's nephew, Edward Thomas ffrench Beytagh, of Cappagh, county Galway. Some of this latter property was sold by the trustees of Clarinda ffrench's estate in February 1873. The purchasers were Messers. Hynes of Ballinasloe, Mr. Conway, solicitor in trust and Patrick and William Murphy. Claremont on 181 acres was advertised for sale in November 1885.
Fox James Fox of Shrule was the main tenant on the lands owned by Gonville ffrench in the parishes of Moorgagagh and Kilmainebeg, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. He lived at Lakefield, in the parish of Shrule, which was part of the de Clifford estate.
ffrench (Castle ffrench) Originally known as Clogher and purchased by the ffrenches from the O'Kellys in 1636. Confiscated by the Cromwellian Commissioners and granted to a Doctor Fennell and repurchased from Fennell's widow by Jasper ffrench in 1671. Charles ffrench was created a baronet in 1779. In the early 19th century family members were heavily involved in banking and business enterprises in Galway and Tuam. In 1851 following banking setbacks and the Famine the estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court to James Thorngate. The Castle Ffrench estate was in the baronies of Killian and Kilconnell, county Galway, but it also included Rosleague and other land in the parish of Ballinakill, barony of Ballynahinch and the lands of Beagh, barony of Moycarn, county Roscommon. Rosleague was sold to Henry G. Fletcher. The ffrenches repurchased the estate in 1919. At the time of Griffith's Valuation two sons of Sir Thomas Ffrench, 2nd Baron, namely Martin and Gonville, held estates in counties Galway and Mayo in their own names (see separate entries for ffrench of Claremont and Ballinamore).
Beytagh/Beatty Betagh family members were granted lands in counties Galway and Roscommon in the late 17th century under the Acts of Settlement. The Beytaghs held an estate of over 1,300 acres in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, in the 19th century, some of it held on a renewable lease from Henry Cunniffe to Dominick Beytagh, dated 19 Oct 1799. Edward Beatty was the proprietor in 1824 and Alexander Beatty by the mid 19th century. An estate, the property of Edmond Concannon and Edward Thomas Beytagh, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. Their estate was sold in the Landed Estates' Court in March 1864. By the 1870s Alexander Beatty was living in Dublin and owned 100 acres in county Galway. Edward J. Beytagh of Cappagh married Sarah ffrench, sister of the 2nd Baron ffrench of Castleffrench and their son inherited the Claremont estate at Ballyforan, county Roscommon in the 1860s.
D'Arcy (Ballinlass) In the first half of the 19th century Nicholas D'Arcy owned land in the parishes of Aghascragh and Taghboy, baronies of Killian and Athlone on the border of counties Galway and Roscommon, which included parts of the estate of the Kellys of Muckloon and Gonville ffrench's Claremount estate. D'Arcy advertised the sale of the fee of these lands amounting to 2,350 acres in May 1851 and parts again in June 1852 and February 1853. Some lands in the barony of Loughrea were also included. The Right Honourable R. W. Greene and Richard Bolton were among the purchasers. Bolton resold Eskermore in 1884. In October 1890 Richard A. D'Arcy advertised the sale of Kentstown, barony of Killian in the Land Judges' Court. The notice includes a detailed description of the house at Kentstown.