Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Beytagh/Beatty

Betagh family members were granted lands in counties Galway and Roscommon in the late 17th century under the Acts of Settlement. The Beytaghs held an estate of over 1,300 acres in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, in the 19th century, some of it held on a renewable lease from Henry Cunniffe to Dominick Beytagh, dated 19 Oct 1799. Edward Beatty was the proprietor in 1824 and Alexander Beatty by the mid 19th century. An estate, the property of Edmond Concannon and Edward Thomas Beytagh, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. Their estate was sold in the Landed Estates' Court in March 1864. By the 1870s Alexander Beatty was living in Dublin and owned 100 acres in county Galway. Edward J. Beytagh of Cappagh married Sarah ffrench, sister of the 2nd Baron ffrench of Castleffrench and their son inherited the Claremont estate at Ballyforan, county Roscommon in the 1860s.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cappagh Cappagh Kilkerrin Glennamaddy Curraghmore 75 Tiaquin Galway OSI Ref: M653574
OS Sheet: 31
Discovery map: 39