Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Beytagh/Beatty


Estate(s)

Name Description
Betagh/Beytagh The Betagh family held five townlands in the parish of Aghamore, barony of Costello, county Mayo. Nollaig Ó Muraíle records that Mannin House was the seat of Captain Gerald Dillon, who died in 1720. Following the death of the Captain's son, John Dillon, in 1731, the estate was divided between his three sisters, who were married to James Betagh, Felix MacDonnell and Josias Dillon of Holywell. The Betaghs settled at Mannin House. A rental of Viscount Dillon's shows Robert Beytagh living at Mannin in 1805. Laura Beytagh owned 996 acres in county Mayo in 1876. When she and her sister went to live in Galway, the house became the property of the Jesuits.
ffrench (Claremont) Gonville ffrench was a younger brother of the 3rd Baron ffrench of Castle ffrench, county Galway. He lived at Claremont, county Roscommon and held lands in county Mayo in the parishes of Kilmainebeg, Kilmainemore and Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, in county Galway in the parishes of Killeroran and Killian, barony of Killian and in county Roscommon in the parishes of Cam and Dysart, barony of Athlone. The lands in the parish of Cam were sold to Sir Thomas ffrench of Castleffrench in November 1792 by Robert Blakely who had bought them the previous July. They later formed part of Gonville ffrench's marriage settlement trust. Some of Gonville ffrench's county Galway estate was held from Nicholas D'Arcy. His interest in county Mayo lands may possibly have derived from his mother, a Redington of Kilcornan, county Galway, a family who had landed interests in county Mayo. His main tenant and agent was James Fox of Lakefield, Shrule. In 1851 and 1852 his assignee Henry Lyons advertised for sale his estates in counties Mayo and Roscommon, each amounting to just over a thousand acres. Some of the county Mayo estate was bought by William Booth, while another lot was purchased by Thomas H. Kenny. The Roscommon estate was still in Gonville ffrench's possession at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His interest in the fee farm rent of Gorteens, parish of Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, was sold by his assignees in 1867. The Irish Times notes that it was purchased by Mr. A. Kyne for over £1900. Gonville ffrench married Clare or Clarinda Kenney of Kilclogher, county Galway. They had no children and the ffrench interest in Claremont appears to have been inherited by Gonville's nephew, Edward Thomas ffrench Beytagh, of Cappagh, county Galway. Some of this latter property was sold by the trustees of Clarinda ffrench's estate in February 1873. The purchasers were Messers. Hynes of Ballinasloe, Mr. Conway, solicitor in trust and Patrick and William Murphy. Claremont on 181 acres was advertised for sale in November 1885.
Beytagh/Beatty Betagh family members were granted lands in counties Galway and Roscommon in the late 17th century under the Acts of Settlement. The Beytaghs held an estate of over 1,300 acres in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, in the 19th century, some of it held on a renewable lease from Henry Cunniffe to Dominick Beytagh, dated 19 Oct 1799. Edward Beatty was the proprietor in 1824 and Alexander Beatty by the mid 19th century. An estate, the property of Edmond Concannon and Edward Thomas Beytagh, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. Their estate was sold in the Landed Estates' Court in March 1864. By the 1870s Alexander Beatty was living in Dublin and owned 100 acres in county Galway. Edward J. Beytagh of Cappagh married Sarah ffrench, sister of the 2nd Baron ffrench of Castleffrench and their son inherited the Claremont estate at Ballyforan, county Roscommon in the 1860s.