Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Betagh/Beytagh

The Betagh family held five townlands in the parish of Aghamore, barony of Costello, county Mayo. Nollaig Ó Muraíle records that Mannin House was the seat of Captain Gerald Dillon, who died in 1720. Following the death of the Captain's son, John Dillon, in 1731, the estate was divided between his three sisters, who were married to James Betagh, Felix MacDonnell and Josias Dillon of Holywell. The Betaghs settled at Mannin House. A rental of Viscount Dillon's shows Robert Beytagh living at Mannin in 1805. Laura Beytagh owned 996 acres in county Mayo in 1876. When she and her sister went to live in Galway, the house became the property of the Jesuits.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mannin Mannin Aghamore Swineford Aghamore 105 Costello Mayo OSI Ref: M452 849
OS Sheet: 92
Discovery map: 32

Archival sources

  • Collis & Ward, solicitors' collection, includes deeds re land in Co Galway involving Concannon, Kirwan, Clanricarde & Beytagh, 1839,1852. Small Accs. Index 98, D.21,982-21,983; National Archives of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. Parish of Aghamore. ITA/3/2; Mayo County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources