Landed Estates
NUI Galway

de Montmorency (Ebor Hall)

The Viscounts Mountmorres were descended from the Morres family, landowners in Co Kilkenny from the mid 17th century, who had assumed the name of de Montmorency. By 1865 William Browne de Montmorency owned Ebor Hall or was certainly living there as the ''Gentleman’s Magazine'' records the birth in Doncaster of his son and heir in March 1865 and gives the home address as Ebor Hall. There appears to be a family link between Mrs Booth, wife of Deputy Commissary General William Booth, who built Ebor Hall and the de Montmorency family through the Pratts of Cabragh Castle, county Cavan. William B. de Montmorency became the 5th Viscount in 1872. In 1876 Lord Mountmorres of Ebor Hall owned 300 acres in county Galway (acreage of townland of Tumneenaun) and in 1880 he was murdered on his way home to the house.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ebor Hall Tumneenaun Cong Oughterard Cloonbur 157 Ross Galway OSI Ref: M087 534
OS Sheet: 27
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Mount Morris [Ebor Hall?] photos. 022/065; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Copy of the Licence by Lord Lieutenant General to Lord Viscount Mountmorres, Lord Frankfort of Galmoy, Sir William Morres, Bart., Raymond Harvey Morres and Harvey Francis Morres to re-assume their original surname of De Montmorency, July 26, 1815. Genealogical Office: Ms.149, pp.215-6 & 223-5 ; National Library of Ireland
  • National Archives, UK: De Montmorency Family of Inch House, Co Kilkenny, papers held privately, contact National Archives, Archives Sector Development, Kew, London, 19th-20th centuries. NRA 31521 Franks ; National Archives, UK

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources