Landed Estates
NUI Galway

de Montmorency


Estate(s)

Name Description
de Montmorency Captain Harvey J.de Montmorency is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as holding the townlands of Cloongowla, parish of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine and Ballindrehid, parish of Kilconduff, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. Cloongowla was previously part of the estate of George Ruttledge and Ballindrehid of the Knoxes of Castlereagh. A rental kept by John Hearn, agent for the estate, was published in the South Mayo Family Research Journal 1989. In the 1870s Frederick de Montmorency of Broughillstown House, Baltinglass, county Wicklow, owned 1,022 acres in county Mayo and 428 acres in county Carlow.
de Montmorency (Ebor Hall) The Viscounts Mountmorres were descended from the Morres family, landowners in Co Kilkenny from the mid 17th century, who had assumed the name of de Montmorency. By 1865 William Browne de Montmorency owned Ebor Hall or was certainly living there as the ''Gentleman’s Magazine'' records the birth in Doncaster of his son and heir in March 1865 and gives the home address as Ebor Hall. There appears to be a family link between Mrs Booth, wife of Deputy Commissary General William Booth, who built Ebor Hall and the de Montmorency family through the Pratts of Cabragh Castle, county Cavan. William B. de Montmorency became the 5th Viscount in 1872. In 1876 Lord Mountmorres of Ebor Hall owned 300 acres in county Galway (acreage of townland of Tumneenaun) and in 1880 he was murdered on his way home to the house.