Landed Estates
NUI Galway

White

Family title

Annaly, Baron


Estate(s)

Name Description
Massy The Massy family are descended from a Cromwellian soldier Captain Hugh Massy who was granted 3,055 acres in the barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, for his military services. His grant included the lands of Duntrileague. Two of his great grandsons became the 1st Baron Massy of Duntrileague and the 1st Baron Clarina of Elm Park. During the 18th century Duntrileague was the family seat but in the 19th century their main residence was Hermitage, close to Limerick city. In 1760 Hugh 2nd Baron Massy married Catherine eldest daughter and co heiress with her sister Lady Carrick of Edward Taylor of Ballynort. Ballynort and the Massy interest in the Taylor estate passed to their second son Edward. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lord Massy is recorded as the immediate lessor of lands principally in the parish of Galbally but also in the parishes of Kilbeheny and Kilbreedy Major, barony of Coshlea and Stradbally, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1870s Lord Massy owned 8,568 acres in county Limerick and 1,120 acres in county Tipperary however his largest estate was in county Leitrim, amounting to over 24,000 acres in 1878. The Massy family had property in north county Leitrim with the bequest of the White estate at Lareen to John Massy, afterwards 6th Lord Massy. See http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Massy for more information. In the 1830s the Massy estate also owned property in the parish of Killora, county Galway where the agent was George Falkner of Tipperary. This property seems to have been leased by Richard Rathbourne of Ballymore. It was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in May 1852. Most of the Massy lands were sold in the last two decades of the 19th century and the family residences in the early years of the 20th century.
White (Lareen) The White family acquired these lands in the Kinlough area in the early 19th century though their main estate was at Luttrellstown, county Dublin, purchased in 1800 from the Earl of Carhampton. Frank Tracy describes the White purchases in county Leitrim in the early 19th century. See also http://homepage.eircom.net/~fmasters/landlords.html#Lareen, for more information. A branch of the Massy family (Baron Massy of Duntrileague) inherited these lands from the White family. The 4th Baron Massy of Duntrileague married Luke White's daughter, Matilda, and it was through this connection that the White lands in Leitrim passed to their second son, John Thomas, who became 6th Baron Massy of Duntrileague in February 1874 on the death of his older brother, Hugh, the 5th Baron.
Scott (Cahiracon) In 1712 the Earl of Thomond leased Cahercon/Cahiracon, parish of Kilfiddane, and Killadysert, parish of Killadysert, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, to Angel Scott in perpetuity. In 1781 Captain James Scott married Anne Bindon. The Scotts continued to reside at Cahiracon until the mid 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bindon Scott, High Sheriff of county Clare 1840, held an estate mainly located in the parishes of Kilchreest, Kilfiddane, Killadysert, Kilmihil and Killard, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare. He also held land in the parishes of Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper, Abbey, barony of Burren and Rath and Ruan, barony of Inchiquin. Some of his lands in the baronies of Clonderlaw, county Clare, Iraghticonor, county Kerry, and in Limerick City, were sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1851. Lands in the parishes of Rath and Ruan the estate of the Honourable Joseph D. Jackson and John Scott trustees of William Scott were offered for sale in March 1853. In November 1854 over 8,500 acres belonging to John Bindon Scott were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The sale rentals include lithographs of Cahircon, Knappogue Castle and Quin Abbey. John Bindon Scott of Cahircon and Crevagh married Eliza Creagh of Cahirbane and they had a son James Creagh Richard Scott. The Scotts lived at Creevagh Beg in the parish of Quin in the later part of the 19th century. James C.R. Scott married Mary Ferguson of Dumbarton, Scotland in 1878. In the 1870s John [James?] C. Scott with an address at the Conservative Club, London, owned 6,431 acres in county Clare. The Scotts held about 450 acres at Faha, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, see sale rental of 23 June 1871.
White (Cahiracon) The Whites of Woodlands, county Dublin, Rathcline, county Longford, Lareen, county Leitrim, Cahircon, county Clare all descend from Luke White, a Dublin bookseller and lottery agent. In the mid 19th century his fourth son Colonel Henry White held an estate comprised of at least 24 townlands in the parishes of Abbey, Drumcreehy and Rathborney, barony of Burren, county Clare which he bought from the Duke of Buckingham circa 1848. The Whites also bought some of the Scott of Cahiracon estate and the Westropp of Attyflin estate, both in county Clare. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Colonel held an estate in the county Limerick parishes of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Newcastle, barony of Glenquin, Cloncagh, Cloncrew, Dromcolleher and Kilmeedy, barony of Connello Upper, as well as his county Clare estates. In 1863 the Colonel was raised to the peerage as Baron Annaly of Annaly and Rathcline, county Longford. He was succeeded by his eldest son Luke as 2nd Baron in 1873. His fifth son Charles William White of Cahiracon, Killadysert and Annaly Lodge, Broadford, inherited the county Clare estates comprised of 18,226 acres plus 5,731 acres in county Tipperary. In 1878 Charles William White sold the Broadford estate, barony of Tulla Lower to John Lecky Phelps. In the 1870s Lord Annaly of Woodlands (Luttrellstown), Clonsilla, county Dublin, owned 5,428 acres in county Limerick, 12,600 acres in county Longford and 2,139 acres in county Dublin. In 1906 Baron Annaly held untenanted land in the parish of Kilcooly, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary.
Joynt (Clareville) A Huguenot family located in the Limerick area from the late 17th century. William Joynt of Limerick married Arabella Lane and they had a son William Lane Joynt of Clareville who married Jane Russell of Limerick in 1854. William Lane Joynt was the Crown and Treasury Solicitor for Ireland and became Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1867. He appears to have acquired land in both counties Clare and Limerick in the second half of the 19th century, owning 1057 acres in county Clare and 1042 acres in county Limerick by the mid 1870s. His son was William Russell Joynt LLB. The records of the solicitor's firm A. Lane Joynt are in the National Archives, Dublin. http://www.celticcousins.net/joynt/descendants_of_william_joynt.htm
Westropp (Attyflin) Montiford Westropp settled in county Limerick in the mid 17th century. His son Montiford purchased the lands of Attyflin from the Chichester House Commissioners in 1703, formerly part of the estate of James II. The Westropps had estates in both counties Clare and Limerick. Their county Clare estate was mainly in the barony of Clonderalaw, parishes of Killofin and Kilmihil but they also had land in other baronies. Kierse writes that the Ross estate in the parish of O'Briensbridge, near Killaloe, county Clare, was purchased from the Pearse family who had held the 380 acres from the 17th century. On 27 May 1858 a sale was held of fee simple and fee farm estates in the baronies of Bunratty Lower, Tulla Upper and Clonderalaw, county Clare (approximately 7,000 acres), Clanwilliam, county Limerick (131 acres) and Fermoy, county Cork (386 acres) belonging to John Westropp. Colonel Henry White bought 2,500 acres in the barony of Clonderalaw. William O'Meara bought 143 acres of Knockbaneboy, barony of Tulla Upper, and advertised them for sale again in January 1863. In the 1870s the Massy Westropp of Attyflin estate amounted to 3,683 acres in county Clare, 592 acres in county Limerick and 387 acres in county Cork .
Grenville In 1775 George Grenville, (created 1st Marquess of Buckingham in 1784), married Lady Mary Elizabeth Nugent, only daughter and heir of Robert, Lord Nugent. Their son was created Duke of Buckingham and Chandos in 1822. The Buckingham estates in counties Westmeath, Longford and Clare amounting to 15,991 acres, were advertised for sale in 1848. The county Clare acreage, approximately 7,000 acres in the barony of Burren, was bought by Richard Samuel Guinness on behalf of Colonel Henry White for £30,000 and included Ballyallaban House and Newtown.
O'Brien (Glencolumbkille) A branch of the O'Briens who lived at Glencolumkille, parish of Carran, barony of Burren, county Clare, where they held a small estate from John Kirwan [barrister of Dublin] and then from John Stratford Kirwan in the 19th century. In 1865 the Kirwan's county Clare estate was advertised for sale including Glencolumkille. In March 1884 the estate of Turlough Butler O'Bryen at Glencolumkille South, amounting to 396 acres was advertised for sale. It was held on a fee farm grant from Charles William White to Mortagh O'Brien dated 1875. In June 1887 over 300 acres at Glencolumbkille South, barony of Burren, county Clare were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court by William Griffith and Edward C. Standford. The petitioner was A.D. O'Bryen. Due to absence of bidding the sale was adjourned. The property was offered again in March 1889 with the same result but the judge gave leave for private bids to be accepted. A book has been written about Turlough Butler O'Bryen entitled ''The Bee Man of County Clare: Turlough Butler O'Bryen, 1853-1928'' by James K. Watson (1995). The Irish Tourist Association file refers to the house still being occupied by a descendant of Turlough O'Brien in the 1940s.
Phelps Thomas Phelps, a Cromwellian soldier from Gloucestershire, was granted lands in counties Tipperary, Kerry and Down and at the Restoration settled in Limerick city. His descendants were involved in linen manufacturing in the North of Ireland. In 1864 John Lecky Phelps married Rosetta Anne, daughter of Colonel John Vandeleur of Ballinacourty, county Limerick, and in 1878 he purchased the Broadford estate in the barony of Tulla, county Clare, from Charles William White, son of Lord Annaly. In 1906 John V. Phelps is recorded as the owner of untenanted lands in the rural districts of Limerick No 2 and Tulla.