Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lawder

Description

A Scottish family resident in counties Leitrim and Roscommon by the early 18th century. The family tree in the National Library of Ireland shows Frederick Lawder of Mough and Christopher Lawder of Drumsna as brothers.


Estate(s)

Name Description
MacDermottroe This estate was centred around the house at Alderford, near Ballyfarnon, in County Roscommon. It included some land in the parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore, county Galway in the mid 1850s. MacDermott lands in the parish of Kiltrustan, barony and county of Roscommon were offered for sale in January 1852. The MacDermottroe family were connected with the MacDermot family of Coolavin. In the 1870s Thomas Charles McDermott owned 2,505 acres in county Roscommon. See http://www.macdermot.com/library/Origins.html for further details.
Lawder/Lauder The Lawders were a Scottish family who came to Ireland in the late 16th century marrying into landed families in county Cavan. At least one Lawder, John, is recorded as residing at Kiltubbrid, county Leitrim in 1649. The Lawder family were also settled at Bonnybeg House in Mohill parish by the late 17th century. Mough, in Fenagh parish was also associated with the family who later built Lawderdale in the same area. Several members of the family served as High Sheriffs of Leitrim between 1699-1853. McParlan records Edward Lawder "of Cloverhill" as a resident gentleman of property in county Leitrim in 1802. The Reverend Matthew Lawder, resident at Gresson House, Swanlinbar, county Cavan, succeeded to the property in 1876 and is recorded as holding 802 acres in county Leitrim in his own right. He also held property in Cavan and Limerick. William Lawder of Lawderdale is recorded as a lessor of lands in the parish of Kilronan, barony of Boyle, at the time of Griffith's Valuation and in the 1870s his estate amounted to 3,748 acres. The representatives of Mrs W. A. Lawder of Flanker House, Drumsna, owned 1,293 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s.
Hanly/Hanley A family who lost most of their lands in the barony of Ballintober, county Roscommon, in the mid 17th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Roderick J. Hanley held land at Ballycummin in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, county Roscommon. In the mid 19th century Ballycummin was a townland of 124 acres leased from the Bishop of Tuam, Killala and Achonry by the Murray family, who advertised the sale of their interest in June 1872 and April 1873. In 1837 Lewis recorded that Ballycommeen was formerly the seat of the Earl of Roscommon 'now occupied by Lieut Rodrick J. Hanly'. Lewis also records three residences of Hanly family members in the parish of Kilglass - Lava of W. Hanly, Cottage of M. Hanly and Doneen of G. Hanly. In February 1851 and December 1852 George Malby Hanly's interest in the lands of Lavagh and others in the parish of Kilglass were advertised for sale. Roderick John Hanly was one of the trustees for the sale of the 171 acres of Clooncoose in the parish of Kilmore the estate of Anne Conry and Robert James Conry in November 1861. This was purchased by Mr. Scallan. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mathew Hanly was leasing land from the Reverend Henry King in the parish of Kilmore and John Hanly held the townland of Carrowskeheen. ''The Landowners of Ireland'' record Mathew Hanly of Dangan as owning 345 acres in county Roscommon. He may have bought some of the O'Beirne estate in the parish of Kilglass, offered for sale in 1861, as he was advertising the sale of parts of Aghamannan and Crunkill, parish of Kilglass and the lands of Kilcock, parish of Kilmore, previously Waldron property, in the late 1870s. In January 1872 Mathew Hanly, surviving trustee of the will of Bridget Hanly, advertised the sale of Carrowskeheen, amounting to over 200 acres. It was sold to Digby West. Other lands owned by Matthew Hanley were offered for sale in the Land Judges Court in December 1880 but the sale was adjourned due to lack of bidding. By 1890 Matthew Hanley's widow, Anne, was offering over 90 acres for sale in the Land Judges' Court. The petitioners were Messers. Kiernan and McDermott and these were the purchasers.
Kelly (Tully) The Kellys were living at Tully, parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, in the first half of the 19th century. Christopher Kelly advertised for sale over 300 acres in the parish in April 1850. By the time of Griffith's Valuation these lands were in the possession of Christopher Lawder. Richard Kelly still held some land in the parish in the 1850s.
Lawder (Tully) Bryan Lawder, a farmer, was resident at Tully, parish of Elphin in 1749. The Lawder pedigree shows that this branch of the Lawder family were descended from Christopher Lawder of Drumsna who married Priscilla Crozier in 1761. Their grandsons were Christopher Hume Lawder, Horatio Lawder and Alonzo Lawder, all sons of John Lawder of Ashfort. Horatio Lawder, resident at Aghamore House, in Mohill parish, held 92 acres in county Leitrim and 443 acres in county Roscommon in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North. The estate of Arthur Auchmuty Lawder, which included part of Aghamore, was advertised for sale in July 1884. Alonzo Lawder was married to a granddaughter of Thomas McDermottroe and lands in the parish of Kiltrustan of which he, his wife and his sisters-in-law were owners, were advertised for sale in January 1852. The purchasers included Messers. Eyre, Johns and Moore. Alonzo Lawder held land in the parishes of Cloonfinlough and Kitrustan, barony of Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His land in the parish of Cloonfinlough was advertised for sale by his trustee in April 1864. The Irish Times reports that it was sold to Mr. John Gardiner, in trust for A. Lawder, for £1800. The Irish Times reported in February 1870 that attempts to sell parts of Alonzo Lawder's estate were repeatedly being frustrated and included the intimidation of prospective bidders. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Christopher Lawder was residing at Tully, parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, which he had purchased from the Kellys. In January 1877 the trustees of his will, John Lauder and James Henry Patrickson, were advertising the sale of Tully. The Irish Times reported that it was sold to Mr. Russell for £7700. George Lawder held some land in Lavagh, parish of Kilglass, in the 1850s. 47 acres of Lavagh held in fee by Thomas Hubback White and Allan White was advertised for sale in 1861. Christopher Hume Lawder who often appears on the sale rentals of the Land Courts as an assignee of insolvents, was First Clerk in the Town Department of the Court for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors, Dublin. George Dance Lawder was Second Clerk in the County Department of the same Court. Members of this branch of the Lawder family owned approximately 1,800 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. In 1889 Christopher Lawder sold lands at Aughamore in the Land Judges' Court. Following what was referred to by the Irish Times as "smart competition" the purchaser was M.J. O'Farrell, solicitor, in trust for John Rogers. James Lawder lived at Lowfield in the parish of Kilmore in 1749, he was murdered in 1779.
Handcock (Aughrim) The Reverend William Handcock owned an estate of just over 500 acres in the parish of Aughrim, barony and county of Roscommon in the 1850s. Parts were leased to Horatio Nelson Lawder and to Robert Devenish. In the 1870s Mrs Sarah Handcock of Ballyknockan House, Ballypatrick, county Tipperary, owned 515 acres in county Roscommon. Walford's records William Frederick Bryanton Handcock residing at Ballyknockan in 1910. He was a son of Robert Ball Handcock of Ballyknockan and of Cole Hill, county Longford and a grandson of Sarah Handcock. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~coddingtons/15887.htm