Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lindsey

Description

Samuel Lindsey of Garrankeel, parish of Kilmoremoy, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, married Jane daughter of Thomas Bell of Streamstown, county Mayo and his wife Elizabeth Crofton of Mohill. Samuel Lindsey died in 1715 and left 2 sons, Thomas Lindsey of Turin, parish of Kilmainemore and Robert Lindsey of Belleek, parish of Kilmoremoy. From the Turin Lindseys descend the Lindsey-Bucknalls and the Lindseys of Castlebar, Hollymount and Wilfort. Robert Lindsey of Belleek had a son Samuel Lindsey of Ballina, who married Letitia Elwood of Cloonkerry, Co Mayo in February 1769, see Acc. 1158/2/6 National Archives.


Estate(s)

Name Description
McDonnell (Doocastle) A small estate in the parish of Kilturra, barony of Costello, county Mayo, held on lease from the Lindsey Bucknalls from the late 18th century. Quinn records that the house and demesne were advertised for sale in 1873 and that the house was then occupied by relatives of the McDonnells named Darcy. Dr Hughes purchased 856 acres for £8000.
Lindsey (Wilfort) Another branch of the Lindsey family, originally of Garrankeel, near Ballina, county Mayo, lived at Wilfort near Tuam, county Galway in the early 19th century and held part of the townland of Killaloonty from the Bishop of Tuam. Their interest in this property of 443 acres was advertised for sale in 1861 and was bought by Thomas Tighe, who resold the townland in 1876. The Lindseys also held two townlands in the parish of Attymas, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, on a renewable lease for three lives for ever from Henry Bingham, dated 5 Dec 1741. Richard Chaloner Lindsey sold his interest in this property in the Encumbered Estates' Court in April 1857.
Knox /Blake Knox (Moyne Abbey) The senior branch of the Knox family in county Mayo who were descended from William Knox of Castlereagh. In 1741 Mrs. Dorothy Knox was given a lease of Moyne Abbey in the parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley for 999 years by James O'Hara, 2nd Baron Tyrawley. The Knoxes leased Moyne to the Jones in the 19th century. In that century the Blake Knoxes owned an estate in the parishes of Kilconduff, Templemore and Kildacommoge, in the barony of Gallen, and in the parish of Kildacommage, barony of Carra, county Mayo. They also had some lands in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Clare, county Galway and in the parishes of Rahara, barony of Athlone and Cloonfinlough, barony and county of Roscommon. Their county Mayo agent in the 1830s was George Knipe of Carn Hill, Belturbet. In 1834 Francis Blake Knox married Jane Knipe. In the 1870s the representatives of Francis Blake Knox owned 1,337 acres in county Galway. Henry Blake Knox of Moyne Abbey and Dalkey, county Dublin, owned 4662 acres in county Mayo , while his brother, Ernest Edward Knox, owned 1074 acres in county Roscommon and their uncle, Lieutenant Colonel William Knox of Brittas Castle, Thurles, county Tipperary, owned 1352 acres in county Mayo and 993 acres in county Tipperary. Lieutenant-Colonel William Knox bought the Brittas estate from the Langley family in 1853. It was mainly located in the parish of Rahelty, barony of Eliogarty. The estate of Henry Blake Knox was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 19 Mar 1914.
Lindsey (Sligo) See Lindsey Bucknell
Blake (Renvyle) Henry Blake returned from Montserrat in 1676 and, according to Martin J. Blake, bought the Lehinch estate at Hollymount, county Mayo, about 600 acres, from the patentee John Porter. He also bought the Renvyle estate, county Galway, from Richard Nugent, Earl of Westmeath in 1680. In 1780 the estates passed to a cousin, Valentine Blake of Mullaghmore and Windfield, county Galway, whose son Henry Blake of Renvyle sold part of his Lehinch estate, including his house, to Thomas Lindsey of Hollymount circa 1812 and the rest of the estate was bought by the 2nd Marquess of Sligo in 1818. The Lehinch estate was in the parishes of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine and parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris. The Renvyle estate of nearly 13,000 acres in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, was visited by Henry Blake for the first time in 1811. He refused to renew the O'Flaherty's lease of the property and took up residence there in the early 1820s. His descendants continued to live at Renvyle until the early 20th century. A large portion of the estate was sold in the early 1850s. Mrs Caroline Blake of Renvyle owned an estate of 4,682 acres in the 1870s. The author Oliver St John Gogarty bought the house and about 200 acres in 1917 and entertained many well known artists and literary figures there.
Lindsey (Hollymount) This branch of the Lindsey family were descended from a younger son of the first Lindsey of Turin, parish of Kilmainemore, county Mayo. It was through his marriage in 1757 with Frances Vesey, granddaughter of Archbishop John Vesey of Tuam, that Thomas Lindsey came to own the Vesey's Hollymount estate, parish of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine. Charles Cromie was agent to the Lindseys in the 1830s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lindsey estate was comprised of eleven townlands in the parish of Kilcommon and five townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. In 1876 Miss Mary Lindsey owned 5194 acres in county Mayo. She married Heremon FitzPatrick, grandson of the 2nd Marquess of Headford and he assumed the additional surname of Lindsey. They had no children. The estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1915.
Vesey In December 1698 John Vesey, Archbishop of Tuam from 1679 to 1716, bought almost 750 acres in the Hollymount area, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the sale of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport. In 1703 he bought circa 2000 acres in the barony of Clanmorris from the trustees for the sale of forfeited estates. These lands had formerly belonged to James Browne and Thomas Burke. Sir Thomas Vesey of Abbeyleix, eldest son of the Archbishop, bought Togher and Lehinch from Peter Browne of Westport in 1712. His half brother George was the rector of Hollymount. Title deeds in the De Vesci Papers in the National Library suggest that Sir John Denny Vesey sold part of his estate in counties Galway and Mayo to his uncle by marriage Henry Bingham of Newbrook and part to his uncle the Reverend George Vesey in 1731. It was George's daughter Frances who married Thomas Lindsey in 1757. The Vesey estate in the Hollymount locality appears to have passed into the possession of the Lindsey family through this marriage. The Lehinch estate was in the possession of the Blakes throughout the 18th century. John Wesley visited Hollymount in 1756 and described the house and gardens built by the Archbishop.
Ruttledge (Lough Mask) Thomas Ruttledge, in his will of 1797, mentions his natural son, John, a quartermaster in the 9th Dragoons. John had two sons who settled in the Hollymount area, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. In 1845 one of John's sons, James Ruttledge, leased 93 acres of Lecarrow in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine, from Thomas Spencer Lindsey. Lindsey sold his interest to Lady de Clifford in 1853 and James Ruttledge was living in Castlevilla which he held from Lady de Clifford at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1866 he became agent to Lord Erne with a lease (6 May 1866) of Lough Mask House and 388 acres for three lives or 31 years. He was also agent to Lord Kilmaine. He was dismissed by both landowners in the early 1870s and retired to Castlevilla. In 1848 Thomas Ruttledge, a brother of James, leased a farm at Lugatallin, parish of Kilcommon, from the Marquess of Sligo which he sublet to Garrett Nally and his sons advertised for sale in 1875. The Irish Times reported that it was sold to "Mr. J. Whelan, salesmaster, Smithfield" for over £1000.
Lindsey Bucknall The Lindseys were well established in north Mayo at the beginning of the 18th century. On 14 Dec 1705 Samuel Lindsey of Belleek and Robert Lindsey, a merchant of Sligo, bought 2 quarters of Rathoma, parish of Ballysakerry, from the trustees for the sale of part of the estate of Charles Boyle, 3rd Earl of Cork and 2nd Earl of Burlington. The Lindseys came to Turin in the early 18th century and Turin remained their property until the mid 19th century, although they appear to have been largely absentee landlords. In 1749 the Reverend Samuel Lindsey of Turin married Frances Bucknall and their grandson John Lindsey took the additional surname of Bucknall. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lindsey Bucknalls still held 2 townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. Sir Thomas Staples was in possession of Turin by the time of Griffith's Valuation and was leasing it to the Rutherford family.
Porter John Porter was granted 971 acres in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, by patent dated 17 Nov 1677. Henry Edward Porter, High Sheriff for county Monaghan in 1849, was a younger son of the Porter family of Belle Isle, county Fermanagh. He owned 5,938 acres in county Mayo in the 1870s valued at £109. His brother married a Lindsey of Hollymount House.