Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lindsey Bucknall

The Lindseys were well established in north Mayo at the beginning of the 18th century. On 14 Dec 1705 Samuel Lindsey of Belleek and Robert Lindsey, a merchant of Sligo, bought 2 quarters of Rathoma, parish of Ballysakerry, from the trustees for the sale of part of the estate of Charles Boyle, 3rd Earl of Cork and 2nd Earl of Burlington. The Lindseys came to Turin in the early 18th century and Turin remained their property until the mid 19th century, although they appear to have been largely absentee landlords. In 1749 the Reverend Samuel Lindsey of Turin married Frances Bucknall and their grandson John Lindsey took the additional surname of Bucknall. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lindsey Bucknalls still held 2 townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. Sir Thomas Staples was in possession of Turin by the time of Griffith's Valuation and was leasing it to the Rutherford family.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Moyne Abbey Abbeylands and Moyne Killala Killala Killala 100 Tirawley Mayo OSI Ref: G232 288
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 24
Turin Turin Kilmainemore Ballinrobe Kilmaine 24 Kilmaine Mayo OSI Ref: M276 578
OS Sheet: 122
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Dillon-Browne, 5 Nov 1850 & 28 Jan 1851, Vols 3 & 5, MRGS 39/001 & 39/002, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Solicitors' Papers, deeds re one undivided moiety of Danganmore and Ballyvary, Thewles to Bucknall McCartney, 1800. Small Accs. Index 30 Bundles 47/1101 & 48/1126; National Archives of Ireland
  • Lismore Papers. MS 6146; National Library of Ireland
  • Mortgage Robert Hart to Charles Bucknall re lands at Baslick, barony of Ballintober, Co Roscommon, 8 July 1775. D 27,276; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources