Alexander Wadham Wyndham a Captain in the Scots Greys was the son of William Wyndham and Laetitia Popham. He married Emma Trevelyan in London in 1830 and lived at West Lodge, Dorset.
|Wyndham||At the time of Griffith's Valuation Alexander Wadham Wyndham held nine townlands in the parish of Burrishoole and six townlands in the parish of Islandeady, barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, some of which he purchased from Reverend John Hervey Ashworth. Other parts of these lands had been leased by the O'Donels to the Marquess of Sligo and Wyndham purchased the Marquess of Sligo's interest in 1853. Patrick B. Ryan from county Tipperary leased land from Captain Wyndham in the 1850s. Some of the Wyndham estate in the parish of Burrishoole was soon after in the hands of the Stoney family and six townlands were in the possession of H.M. Anketell Jones in the early 20th century.|
|Stoney||James Butler Stoney and his son, Robert Vesey Stoney, built up a considerable estate in the Burrishoole area, county Mayo, in the latter half of the 19th century. They also purchased land near Boyle in county Roscommon. The Elwood lands of Knockroe and Kilkeeran, barony of Kilmaine, came into their possession through marriage. By 1876 they owned almost 7,000 acres in county Mayo, most of which was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 30 June 1900. On 29 Jan 1914, 764 acres in county Roscommon, belonging to Robert Vesey Stoney, were vested in the Congested Districts' Board. In February 1855 George Waller Vesey, James Butler Stoney and Arthur Rowley Symes offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court lands in the barony of Tyrawley, county Mayo, as well as property in counties Cavan and Dublin. The Cavan lands amounted to 491 acres in the parish of Moybologue, held under a conveyance from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners dated 21 May 1838. George Foote was the purchaser of the county Mayo lands and Thomas Chambers, the Earl of Lanesborough and Patrick Clarke of those in county Cavan.|
|Ashworth (Co Mayo)||In the early 1850s Reverend John Hervey Ashworth bought lands in the barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, from the sale of the O'Donel of Newport estate but appears to have sold them on very rapidly to Alexander W. Wyndham. "The General Armoury" refers to Ashworth of Ashworth and Hall Carr, Co Lancaster and Elland Bank, in Yorkshire, represented by Reverend John Hervey Ashworth (page 29). Thomas Ashworth, who also had Lancashire connections, purchased the Galway fishery in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852.|
|Kennedy||In the mid 1870s Charles Preston Kennedy of Inisherkin, Newport, county Mayo and Victor C. Kennedy of Corraunboy, parish of Burrishoole, owned 1450 and 6198 acres respectively. They may have purchased some of the Wyndham estate. Victor C. Kennedy had a very small amount of untenanted land in the locality in 1906. Mrs J. S. Kennedy sold 966 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 18 Nov 1915.|
|Anketell Jones||Six townlands in the parish and barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, were occupied by Henry Moutray Antekell Jones in the early years of the 20th century. These townlands were formerly the property of the Wyndham family. Antekell Jones was also leasing the Burrishoole fishery from the Marquess of Sligo. The National Library has an auction poster for the sale of the Antekell Jones estate in 1903, most of which was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in 1906-1907.|