A family who owned land in counties Mayo and Roscommon in the 19th century.
|Wyndham||At the time of Griffith's Valuation Alexander Wadham Wyndham held nine townlands in the parish of Burrishoole and six townlands in the parish of Islandeady, barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, some of which he purchased from Reverend John Hervey Ashworth. Other parts of these lands had been leased by the O'Donels to the Marquess of Sligo and Wyndham purchased the Marquess of Sligo's interest in 1853. Patrick B. Ryan from county Tipperary leased land from Captain Wyndham in the 1850s. Some of the Wyndham estate in the parish of Burrishoole was soon after in the hands of the Stoney family and six townlands were in the possession of H.M. Anketell Jones in the early 20th century.|
|Stoney||James Butler Stoney and his son, Robert Vesey Stoney, built up a considerable estate in the Burrishoole area, county Mayo, in the latter half of the 19th century. They also purchased land near Boyle in county Roscommon. The Elwood lands of Knockroe and Kilkeeran, barony of Kilmaine, came into their possession through marriage. By 1876 they owned almost 7,000 acres in county Mayo, most of which was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 30 June 1900. On 29 Jan 1914, 764 acres in county Roscommon, belonging to Robert Vesey Stoney, were vested in the Congested Districts' Board. In February 1855 George Waller Vesey, James Butler Stoney and Arthur Rowley Symes offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court lands in the barony of Tyrawley, county Mayo, as well as property in counties Cavan and Dublin. The Cavan lands amounted to 491 acres in the parish of Moybologue, held under a conveyance from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners dated 21 May 1838. George Foote was the purchaser of the county Mayo lands and Thomas Chambers, the Earl of Lanesborough and Patrick Clarke of those in county Cavan.|
|Arbuthnot||Local sources suggest the Arbuthnot family were located in the parish of Burrishoole, barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo in the 1780s. John Arbuthnot had an interest in the O’Donel lands of Carrigahowley or Rockfleet, Carrowsallagh or Windsor and Rossyvera, which he sold to the 1st Marquess of Sligo in 1801. In 1802, Sir Robert Arbuthnot, a son of John, married Susan, only child of Colonel William Vesey of Farmhill, parish of Crossboyne, county Mayo, a great-grandson of Archbishop John Vesey of Hollymount. Three townlands in the parish of Crossboyne belonged to the Arbuthnots during the 19th century and their estate was bought by John Charles Sheffield.|
|Stoney (Co Tipperary)||Thomas Stoney from Yorkshire came to Ireland in the late 17th century and settled in county Tipperary. In 1745, his eldest son, George of Greyfort and Portland, married Eliza, daughter of Captain James Johnston of Ballynockane and sister of Captain Robert Johnston of Emell Castle. They had five sons, Andrew died without male heirs, Thomas of Arran Hill and Emell Castle, James J. of Oakley Park, Bigoe A. of Killavalla and George who had no children. The second son, Thomas Stoney and his wife Ruth Falkiner of Mount Falcon, had eight sons including George of Kyle Park, Richard of Portland and James Johnstone of Emell Castle. In the mid 19th century most of the Stoney lands were in the barony of Lower Ormond, parishes of Borrisokane, Lorrha, Modreeny, Nenagh and Uskane. In the 1870s Johnston Stoney of Emill Castle owned 473 acres in King's County (Offaly) and 104 acres in county Tipperary. Other members of the Stoney family namely Sadlier Stoney of Ballycapple, Cloghjordan, owned 953 acres, Thomas Stoney of Kyle Park owned 1,029 acres, Thomas B. Stoney of Portland Park owned 2,778 acres and Thomas G. Stoney of Kingstown owned 221 acres, all in county Tipperary. Members of this family were prominent in the scientific, engineering and academic fields in nineteenth century Ireland.|
|MacDonnell||The MacDonnell, Vane Tempest and Kerr families, Earls of Antrim owned lands in county Tipperary.|