The Handys of Brackagh Castle and Coolalough, parish of Ardnurcher, Moycashel, Co Westmeath, intermarried with the Ormes of Co mayo and with the Flemings of Co Sligo. They were strong supporters of the Methodist movement in the mid 18th century.
|Knott (Battlefield)||The Knott family held lands in various parts of the barony of Corran. Lands at Emlanaghtan, in the possession of the Knott and Handy families, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in June 1857. In January 1859 lands at Tawnagh, barony of Corran, the property of William Phibbs Knott, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. James Knott of Battlefield owned almost 1000 acres in the 1870s with other members of the Knott family owning lesser amounts. In 1912 an offer from the Congested Districts Board was accepted by M. O'Malley Knott for the sale of over 250 acres of the estate. Richard Gorman, who held a herd's property and 57 acres from the Knott estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation, may have purchased some land later. In the early twentieth century the Congested Districts Board acquired almost 600 acres of his property.|
|Handy||A county Westmeath family, prominent Methodists, who owned land in the Killala area from at least the late 18th century. They made a large claim for damages after the 1798 rebellion. In 1859 Samuel Handy advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court, his house, demesne and mill at Ballintober, at one time part of the Orme estate. Other Handy property in the parish of Kilfian was subsequently sold. The property at Carrowmore, barony of Kilconnell, county Galway, which had been in the Handy family since the early 1700s, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in November and December 1858. An earlier sale, in June 1857, had included lands at Kilconnell, county Galway and the baronies of Tirawley, county Mayo and Corran, county Sligo. Lands in the parish of Aughrim are recorded as the propery of P. Handy at the time of the 1st Ordnance Survey. The Irish Times reported on a sale of Bennett and Handy property in the Landed Estates Court in July 1867. These lots were purchased by Mr. Findlater. In 1876 Samuel Handy of King's Co (county Offaly) held 2030 acres and a Samuel Handy of county Roscommon held 553 acres in county Mayo. At the same time Alexander K. Handy held over 350 acres in county Galway.|
|Orme (Abbeytown & Glenmore)||The Ormes of Abbeytown held an estate in the parish of Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo from the mid 18th century. A younger son lived at Glenmore in the early 19th century. The Abbeytown estate of over 5000 acres was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852 and the Glenmore estate of 4556 acres in the parishes of Crossmolina and Moygawnagh in 1853.|
|Blackstock||In 1856 Thomas Blackstock was leasing properties in various parishes in the barony of Longford, county Galway. He in turn was the lessor of houses and over 360 acres in the parish of Kiltormer to Joseph Hardy. In 1858 Thomas Blackstock bought just over 400 acres at Aughrim, straddling the three baronies of Kilconnell, Clonmacnowen and Leitrim for £1,805 from William Phibbs Knott and his wife Ruth, orginally part of the Handy estate. This property was inherited by Mary Elizabeth Johnston, daughter of Thomas Blackstock. O'Gorman notes that Blackstock also acted as agent for John Pelly Geoghegan's estates in the parish of Fohenagh.|
|North||Northbrook was the residence of Mr. William North in 1814. The lands at Northbrook or Garrinahane, parish of Aughrim, barony of Kilconnell, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in February 1853. This property was held on a lease from Samuel Handy to Joseph North. The original lease was for three lives from 1750.|
|Crowe||Part of the estate of George Crowe at Coololla, parish of Aughrim, barony of Kilconnell, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court, in May 1868. The original lease on these lands was from the Handy family, dated 1735. In June 1887 Patrick Crowe offered over 250 acres at Angliham, in the parish of Oranmore, county Galway for sale in the Land Judges' Court. However, as there was no bidding the judge directed that private contracts be accepted. In January 1890 the Irish Times reported the appointment of a receiver to this property.|