Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Radley


Estate(s)

Name Description
Leader (Keale) A junior branch of the Leader family of county Cork, sharing a common ancestry with the Leaders of Mount Leader. Early generations married members of the Radley family. John Leader was living at Keale, Millstreet, by the beginning of the 18th century and his descendants continued to live at Keale until the property was sold in the early 20th century. The estate was situated in the parishes of Kilmeen and Cullen, barony of Duhallow and amounted to 1,396 acres in the 1870s. Benjamin and Leonard Leader held land in the parishes of Cullen, barony of Duhallow and Clondrohid, barony of West Muskerry in the early 1850s.
Radley Griffith's Valuation records the representatives of R.B. Radley holding land in the parish of Aghabulloge, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. In April 1853 the lands of Ughtiherrymore and Ughtiherrybeg, barony of East Muskerry, the estate of Richard Henry Radley were advertised for sale. Further lands belonging to Richard H. Radley at Upper and Lower Knockrour, barony of East Muskerry were offered for sale in October 1858. These lands were bought from the Court by Robert Harnett in 1859 and were advertised for sale again by Richard Harnett in 1876. The estate of John Barry of Knockrour, 102 acres at Oughtihery, barony of East Muskerry, was advertised for sale in November 1859. An Australian great granddaughter of Richard H. Radley has put together an extensive family history of the Radley family and many related families which can be accessed at http://www.radleysofcork.bigpondhosting.com/ The Radleys came to Ireland from Somerset
Fitzgibbon (Co Cork) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Cross Fitzgibbon held land from the Duke of Devonshire in the parish of Inishcarra, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. The representatives of Edward Fitzgibbon also held land in the neighbouring parish of Carrigrohanebeg. In February 1865 the estate of Epinetus Fitzgibbon at Oughtiherry More and Beg, barony of East Muskerry, was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Cross Fitzgibbon of Inishlurgh Abbey, Inniscarra owned 599 acres and Edward Fitzgibbon of Coachford owned 332 acres in county Cork. Victor Brave Fitzgibbon of Sydney House, Cork, owned 338 acres. In November 1884 the estate of Moore Kyrl Fitzgibbon at Cooltubrid, 141 acres in the barony of East Muskerry, was advertised for sale.
Harnett (Macroom) In the 1870s the representatives of Mrs Mary Harnett of Hanover Hall, Macroom, county Cork, owned 2,382 acres in county Cork. The sale rental of the lands of Upper and Lower Knockrour, barony of East Muskerry, the estate of Richard Harnett, in April 1876 record the purchase of these lands by Robert Harnett from the Landed Estates' Court in 1859. Robert Sykes of Glanmire purchased them at the 1876 sale. They were previously part of the Radley estate. Cork city premises belonging to Richard Harnett were for sale in November 1879.