Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McLoghry


Estate(s)

Name Description
Downing In 1854 Charles Downing bought most of the O'Dowd estate in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. With addresses at Oatlands, Ballina and Kingston, county Dublin, he is described as owning 4500 acres in county Mayo in 1876. He left the area in the early 20th century.
McLoghry Henry McLoghry was occupying Bunnyconnellan Cottage at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He held the house from Charles Downing. In 1878 Henry McLoghry of Kingston Lodge, Riverstown, county Sligo, owned 372 acres in county Mayo and 325 acres in county Sligo. The Freeman's Journal reported in November 1854 that he purchased over 380 acres of O'Dowd land in the Encumbered Estates Court. William Robert McLoughrey was a magistrate for county Sligo in the early twentieth century.
O'Dowd (Bunnyconnellan) At the beginning of the 18th century the O'Dowds retained part of their former estates centred around Bunnyconnellan or Bonniconlan, in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. Most of the estate amounting to 4893 acres was purchased by Charles Downing in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1854.