At the beginning of the 18th century the O'Dowds retained part of their former estates centred around Bunnyconnellan or Bonniconlan, in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. Most of the estate amounting to 4893 acres was purchased by Charles Downing in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1854.
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), O'Dowd, 9 Nov 1854, Vol 31, MRGS 39/014, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Irish Tourist Association. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. Parish of Bonniconlon. ITA/3/16; Mayo County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 97
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Mayo: Vol IV, 341
Modern printed sources
- QUINN, J. F. ''History of Mayo''. Ballina: Brendan Quinn, 2000: IV, 135
- ''Jnl. of the North Mayo Archaeological and Historical Society'': MACHALE, Conor. Colonel Baron James O'Dowda, Bonniconlon (1765-1798). II, No 2 (1988-1989), 11-20
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court sale reports, 10 November 1854, p.5.