In 1854 Charles Downing bought most of the O'Dowd estate in the parish of Kilgarven, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. With addresses at Oatlands, Ballina and Kingston, county Dublin, he is described as owning 4500 acres in county Mayo in 1876. He left the area in the early 20th century.
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), O'Dowd, 9 Nov 1854, Vol 31, MRGS 39/014, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Irish Tourist Association. Topographical and General Survey, 1941-1945. File Mayo East 1-24, parish of Bonniconlon; Mayo County Library
- W.B. Scott, Solicitor's Collection, mortgage of lands in barony of Gallen, Charles Downing to Cheyne Brady & reconveyane, 1876 & 1898 & deed of separation, Mrs Annabella Downing, 1881. Small Private Accessions Index No 76, D.10,736, D.10,747, D.10,750; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 135
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 308
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Ballina Union, 126