Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Walcott (Croagh)


Name Description
Smith (Smithfield & Ballylin) Smithfield house was leased to the Reverend Charles Smyth by Henry and Richard Aylmer in October 1794. In 1799 John Walcott of Greenwich, London, formerly of Croagh, leased the house division of Ballyline to Richard Smyth junior of Ballyline and in 1800 he was leased Smythfield by the Reverend Charles Smyth. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Smith held lands in the parish of Kilbreedy Major, barony of Coshlea and Richard C. Smith held lands in the parishes of Croagh and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick some of which were in the possession of the Court of Chancery. Portions of the estate of Richard Dalton Smith in the barony of Connello were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in January 1865. One lot was sold to its tenant, Mr. O'Donnell, the remaining sale adjourned. Property sold at a further sale in January 1866 was purchased by Dr. Hassard, Rector of Rathkeale.
Walcott (Croagh) Captain Thomas Wallcott was granted lands close to the city of Limerick by patent dated 1667. This would appear to be the same person as Colonel Thomas Walcott of Croagh, county Limerick, who was involved in the Rye House Plot. He married Jane Blayney. A mortgage dated 1698 in the Scott solicitor's collection (D.10,549) refers to John Walcott of Grays Inn, Middlesex, son of Thomas Walcott of Croagh. The Walcotts held over 1,000 acres in the barony of Connello, county Limerick and lands in the barony of Burren, county Clare, at this time. The Minchin Walcotts eventually succeeded to Croagh and in 1755 Jane eldest daughter of John Minchin Walcott, Member of Parliament for Askeaton, married as his first wife the Reverend William Cecil Pery. They were the parents of the 1st Earl of Limerick. By the 1790s the Walcotts were leasing Croagh to Gerald Fitzgerald of Croagh and his son also named Gerald (National Archives D.11,029). In 1837 Lewis referred to John Walcott of Clifton, Bristol but originally of Croagh House. Joseph Robert Mahony's rental of part of the lands of Croagh (Ballylin wood and Raheen) was advertised for sale in November 1856. The petitioners were members of the Enraght, Walcott and Fosberry families. The rental records that Raheen House was erected during the liftetime of the late John Walcott. In March 1851 the estate (695 acres) of George Walcott and Henry Lyons Walcott at Middlewalk or Ballygibbon, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. The Freeman's Journal reported that this property was bought by William White. Messrs Wallcott are recording as holding land in the parish of Ballygibbon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Oxford DNB records John Walcott (1754-1831), naturalist, eldest son of John Walcott and Mary Yeamans, who had an estate at Croagh, county Limerick. John Walcott married in 1782 Anne Lloyd and in 1783 Dorothy Mary Lyons. The Reverend Mackenzie E.C. Wallcott (1821-1880) of London, who also merits an entry in the DNB, owned 722 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s but no Irish connection is mentioned.
Fitzgerald (Horsham) Sir William Robert Seymour Vesey-FitzGerald (1818 – 1885) was a British politician, Member of Parliament for Horsham and Governor of Bombay. He was a son of William Vesey-FitzGerald, 2nd Baron FitzGerald and Vesey. In 1846 he married Maria Tryphena Seymour and was succeeded in 1885 by his eldest son, Sir Gerald Seymour Fitzgerald, who married in 1862 and had three daughters. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Seymour Fitzgerald held land in the parish of Croagh, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick, most of it leased to Richard C. Smith. In May and July 1857 an estate of about 600 acres belonging to him in the barony of Connello Lower was advertised for sale. In 1862 the 3,000+ acre estate of William Robert Seymour Fitzgerald in the parish of Lismalin, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. The estate was held in fee simple and must have been purchased from the Earl of Carrick, the owner at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Three lots were sold to Mr Lysaght (in trust). The remainder comprised of 1647 acres was advertised for sale again in November 1863. However a buyer does not seem to have been found as the Right Honourable Sir William Robert Seymour Vesey Fitzgerald of Holbrook, Horsham, is recorded as owning 1,587 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. In May 1875 his fee simple and freehold estates in the barony of Slievardagh were again advertised for sale. These estates amounted to 2,540 acres and included a fee farm rent charged on 959 acres of Mohobber. Five of the eleven lots were sold on this occasion. The Irish Times reported that Messers. Cashan, Fox, Cahill and Barnes were the purchasers. The remainder were advertised for sale again on 3 December 1875. The Irish Times reported that the lots sold on that occasion were bought in trust for Michael Morris at a total cost of £11,200.
Yeamans 18th century documents in the National Archives refer to the lands of Lisfuncheon, Rosclevan and Farrancleary, in the barony of Iffa and Offa, county Tipperary, belonging to the Yeamans family. These documents record Lord Lismore's offer to buy Lisfuntion in 1814 and the will of Edmond Yeamans of Lisfuntion, 1734. Lisfunshion was in the parish of Templetenny, barony of Iffa and Offa West. In 1653 John Walcott of Croagh, county Limerick married Mary daughter of John Yeamans of Lisfunshion, county Tipperary. The Yeamans were also associated with property in Cork city.