Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Smith (Smithfield & Ballylin)

Smithfield house was leased to the Reverend Charles Smyth by Henry and Richard Aylmer in October 1794. In 1799 John Walcott of Greenwich, London, formerly of Croagh, leased the house division of Ballyline to Richard Smyth junior of Ballyline and in 1800 he was leased Smythfield by the Reverend Charles Smyth. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Smith held lands in the parish of Kilbreedy Major, barony of Coshlea and Richard C. Smith held lands in the parishes of Croagh and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick some of which were in the possession of the Court of Chancery. Portions of the estate of Richard Dalton Smith in the barony of Connello were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in January 1865. One lot was sold to its tenant, Mr. O'Donnell, the remaining sale adjourned. Property sold at a further sale in January 1866 was purchased by Dr. Hassard, Rector of Rathkeale.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballylin Ballylin Croagh Rathkeale Dromard 135 Connello Lower Limerick OSI Ref: R411 406
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 65
Smithfield Croagh Croagh Rathkeale Croagh 134 Connello Lower Limerick OSI Ref: R419 439
OS Sheet: 20
Discovery map: 65

Archival sources

  • W.B. Scott, Solicitor's Collection, leases of Ballyline and Smithfield to Richard Smith, junior, 1799, 1800. Small Accessions Index No 76, D.11,035 & D.11,037; National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Smyth, 19 Jan 1865, Vol 75 (17), MRGS 39/037, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources

  • ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court sales, 20 January 1865, p.4, 12 January 1866, p.3.