Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Aylmer (Croagh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Aylmer (Croagh) The Aylmers were located at Croagh, parish of Croagh, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick, from at least the mid 17th century. According to the sale rental of 1851, the original grant dated 21 October 1639, was from George Courtney (later Earls of Devon) to Charles Aylmer. The house was leased to the Reverend Charles Smyth by Henry and Richard Aylmer in October 1794. In the sale rental of the demense of Croagh and Smithfield in January 1851, a 3 storey house is hand drawn on the map in the townland of Smythfield. A total of 684 acres comprised the county Limerick estate of James Aylmer first offered for sale in January 1851.
Smith (Smithfield & Ballylin) Smithfield house was leased to the Reverend Charles Smyth by Henry and Richard Aylmer in October 1794. In 1799 John Walcott of Greenwich, London, formerly of Croagh, leased the house division of Ballyline to Richard Smyth junior of Ballyline and in 1800 he was leased Smythfield by the Reverend Charles Smyth. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Smith held lands in the parish of Kilbreedy Major, barony of Coshlea and Richard C. Smith held lands in the parishes of Croagh and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick some of which were in the possession of the Court of Chancery. Portions of the estate of Richard Dalton Smith in the barony of Connello were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in January 1865. One lot was sold to its tenant, Mr. O'Donnell, the remaining sale adjourned. Property sold at a further sale in January 1866 was purchased by Dr. Hassard, Rector of Rathkeale.