The Aylmers were located at Croagh, parish of Croagh, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick, from at least the mid 17th century. According to the sale rental of 1851, the original grant dated 21 October 1639, was from George Courtney (later Earls of Devon) to Charles Aylmer. The house was leased to the Reverend Charles Smyth by Henry and Richard Aylmer in October 1794. In the sale rental of the demense of Croagh and Smithfield in January 1851, a 3 storey house is hand drawn on the map in the townland of Smythfield. A total of 684 acres comprised the county Limerick estate of James Aylmer first offered for sale in January 1851.
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Aylmer, 17 Jan 1851, Vol 5 (18) & 2 May 1851, Vol 7 (1), MRGS 39/002 & 39/003, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Baker Papers: draft of lease by John Asgill to Sir William King, George Alymer & others re lands in the manor of Castletown & town of Killarney, Co Kerry & elsewhere on Cos Limerick & Cork, 1703. D 27,204; National Library of Ireland