Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bagwell


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bagwell (Marlfield) In 1749 William Bagwell, Member of Parliament for Clonmel married Jane daughter and co heir of John Harper of Belgrove, county Cork. In 1781 his son John Bagwell Member of Parliament for county Tipperary purchased Marlfield, county Tipperary, from Stephen Moore. In 1774 John had married Mary Hare a sister of the 1st Earl of Listowel. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their grandson John Bagwell, Member of Parliament for Clonmel 1857-1874, held land in the county Cork parish of Templerobin, barony of Barrymore and Killanully, barony of Cork. His land in the county Galway parish of Athenry was leased to Burton Persse. The county Tipperary estate was located in the parishes of Ballybacon and Tubbrid, barony of Iffa and Offa West, Inishlounaght and St Marys Clonmel, barony of Iffa and Offa East and barony of Upperthird, county Waterford. His eldest son Richard inherited Marlfield and his second son William lived at East Grove. John Bagwell, of Marlfield, Clonmel, county Tipperary, is recorded as the owner of over 350 acres in county Galway, 509 acres in county Cork, 3,519 acres in county Tipperary and 778 acres in county Waterford, in the 1870s. A John Bagwell of Lecklash Castle, Fermoy, county Cork, was the owner of 662 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.
Bagwell (Kilmore) Thomas P. Power writes that John Bagwell, a Clonmel merchant, purchased about 900 acres in the barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, from Lord Dunboyne in 1729 and soon afterwards acquired the 1,500 acre Kilmore estate of John Slattery, a Catholic lawyer and agent to Lord Cahir and some smaller properties. The Kilmore estate became the property of John's eldest son while the former Dunboyne estate was sold to the Riall family of Clonmel in 1778. The younger branch of the Bagwell family continued as merchants and bankers in Clonmel and bought the Marlfield property in 1780 from Stephen Moore and the borough of Clonmel from the Earl of Mountcashel in 1800. John Bagwell of Kilmore married Lucinda Piercy in 1791 and their son also named John Bagwell married Anne Taylor of Noan in 1819. She died the next year following the birth of their son, John Taylor Bagwell. In February 1851 the estate of John Bagwelll at Kilmore, Moanrua and Orchardstown, amounting to 1,107 acres in the barony of Iffa and Offa East was advertised for sale in 5 lots. The purchasers included Edward Reeves and Richard Grubb. In January 1853 the Noan estate of 1,783 acres belonging to John Bagwell (Taylor) was advertised for sale. Captain John Bagwell held land in the parish of Lisronagh at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In December 1854 the rental of Shanbally and Lisronagh was put up for sale. John Bagwell of Lisronagh owned 547 acres in the 1870s.
Taylor (Noan) In 1666 Nathaniel Taylor, an officer in Cromwell's army, was ganted an estate of approximately 1,000 acres in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, including the townland of Noan. His grandson, Lovelace Taylor, purchased Ballinure in 1742. Lovelace's son Godfrey Taylor of Noan, county Tipperary, married as his second wife, Lydia, daughter and heir of Nicholas Bacon, in 1758. Edward Taylor of Noan, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, married Elizabeth Hewetson of Kilkenny and had three sons who all died childless and a daughter Anne. Edward died in 1802 and was succeeded by his son Nathaniel who died in 1828. His daughter Anne married John Bagwell of Kilmore in 1819 and the Bagwell family were in possession of this estate by the mid 19th century. It was sold to Stanley Black in 1853. A younger brother of Edward, Nathanial Taylor, inherited Ballinure, a townland bordering Noan, but without a residence. Godfrey L. Taylor of Durrow, Queen's County (Laois), owned 996 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s. In the mid 19th century the Taylor estate was in the parishes of Graystown, barony of Slievardagh, Peppardstown and Rathcool, barony of Middlethird. The estate of the trustees of the will of Godfrey Taylor at Rathkenny, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale in May 1854.
Bagwell Purefoy The Bagwell Purefoys descend from Edward Bagwell, a grandson of John Bagwell of Marlfield, Clonmel, county Tipperary. In 1847, Edward Bagwell assumed the additional name of Purefoy on succeeding to the estate of Colonel William Purefoy of Greenfield who died in December 1846. A Captain Arthur Purefoy was granted an estate of over 2,500 acres in the barony of Kilnamanagh in 1667. William Holmes was agent on this estate between 1847-1852. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edward Bagwell held at least fourteen townlands in the parish of Donohill and four townlands in the parish of Aghacrew, barony of Kilnamanagh Lower. In 1854, Lieutenant Colonel Edward Bagwell married Isabella Petronella, daughter of Major Langley of Brittas Castle, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Colonel Bagwell Purefoy owned 7,607 acres in county Tipperary.