Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Phibbs

Description

The Phibbs family were important landowners in County Sligo and in the adjoining counties of Roscommon and Leitrim from the 18th century onwards


Estate(s)

Name Description
Phibbs (Seafield) The Phibbs family acquired an estate in Kilmacowen in the late 18th century. The estate was based around Seafield House which was built by William Phibbs, c. 1798. A later house, also called Seafield, was built in the townland of Lisheen, nearby. The estate, which was held under fee-farm grant from the Merediths, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in January 1877. The family also owned a dower house at Coradoo, near Ballinafad, County Sligo as well as property in the barony of Boyle, county Roscommon. In the 1870s the Misses Phibbs, of Drumcormack, Boyle, held over 150 acres in Roscommon while William Phibbs was the owner of over 800 acres including lands in the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh. Earlier, in June 1852, William Phibbs had offered for sale over 300 acres of his Roscommon estate as well as over 2000 acres of an estate in county Westmeath, in the Encumbered Estates court. In 1867 oyster beds and houses in the city of Dublin, associated with the estate of Edward Joshua Cooper, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. In 1906 Catherine Phibbs is recorded as the occupier of property in the townland of Lisheenacooravan, barony of Carbury, including a mansion house. The Congested Districts Board acquired almost 1400 acres of the estate of Owen Phibbs in the early twentieth century.
Phibbs (Tirerrill) The Phibbs family owned several estates in the barony of Tirerril including that at Corradoo East. The family also held property in Ballysumaghan parish centred around Doonally. William and Thomas Phibbs offered the estate at Heathfield for sale in May 1854. Harloe Phibbs was leasing extensive property in the town of Ballysadare to Robert Culbertson at the time of Griffith's Valuation. This property included mill buildings to the value of £300. In 1868 Agnes Culbertson, widow of Robert Culbertson, offered this mill complex, together with some houses and 34 acres, for sale in the Landed Estates Court. Harloe Phibbs owned over 700 acres in the 1870s while Major Richard Phibbs was the owner of over 550. In 1906 Thomas Randle Phibbs is recorded as the owner of over 300 acres of untenanted land at Ballynaboll, barony of Tirerrill, including a mansion house, probably the house known as Heathfield. At the same time William Phibbs held over 300 acres of untenanted land in the barony of Tirerrill including buildings valued at £11 at Knockbrack.
Phibbs The Phibbs family held estates in different parts of county Sligo, this branch settled at Doobeg in the 19th century. There was significant land agitation on this estate in the early 20th century. In 1906 Charles Phibbs is recorded as the occupier of property at Doobeg, including a mansion house.
Toler The Earl of Norbury held land in various parts of Ireland including counties Sligo, Mayo and Clare, as well as Durrow Abbey in County Offaly (King's County) where the 3rd Earl was murdered in 1839. The Sligo and Mayo properties were inherited from the Phibbs of Lisconny. The mother of the 2nd Lady Norbury, Elizabeth Brabazon, was a daughter of John Phibbs of Lisconny. According to Griffith's Valuation for Sligo Union the house at Lisconny was leased by her to Bernard Cogan in 1857. The county Mayo estate was located in the parish of Turlough, barony of Carra and his county Clare estate in the parishes of Feakle and Tomgraney, barony of Tulla Upper, close to the border with county Tipperary. His county Tipperary estate was located in the parishes of Clonoulty, Oughterleague, Moyaliff, Upperchurch, Twomileborris, Kilruane, Aghnameadle and Kilmastulla. In 1876 the 4th Earl held over a thousand acres in both counties Sligo and Mayo and much more extensive estates in counties Tipperary (7,798 acres) and Clare (2,453 acres). His county Mayo estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 8 March 1915.
Fleming McTernan states that the Flemings came into possession of lands in Sligo in the wake of the Cromwellian settlement of the mid-seventeenth century. They held lands at various locations in the baronies of Leyny and Corran and intermarried with other Sligo families including the Knotts of Battlefield, the Jones of Ardnaglass as well as the Phibbs and the Ormes. The Irish Times reported in June 1864 that over 110 acres, the property of Anne Fleming at Wardfield, had been purchased by Mr. R.J. Gore for £850. In 1874 almost 250 acres, originally held on lease from Phillip Ormsby to Matthew Fleming, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by Harriett Knight Corkran.
Cogan (Rockbrook) The Cogan family occupied a property which in the early 18th century had belonged to the Phibbs family. The property at Rockbrook is listed as being part of the Martin estate in the OS Name Books in 1836. The property at Lisconny passed by inheritence to Lady Norbury whose mother had been a member of the Phibbs family. This property seems to have been occupied by Robert Baker in 1814. In June 1865 John Cogan offered for sale the estate at Flower Hill in the barony of Corran, formerly the property of the Irwin family. The particulars indicate that the estate had been purchased in the Landed Estates Court by James Cogan, brother of John. In 1866 Bernard Cogan was the petitioner in the sale of property belonging to Timothy O'Donel in the Landed Estates Court. He purchased lands in Tourlestrane for £120 in this sale. Harloe Phibbs and James Cogan are jointly listed as the owners of over 2200 acres in county Sligo in 1876. At the same time Bernard Owen Cogan was the owner of over 1000 acres. In the 1870s Patrick Cogan was recorded as the owner of over 800 acres in county Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Patrick Cogan were the lessors of property in the parish of Kilcolman, barony of Coolavin. In the Land Judges' Court in 1890 E.C. Cogan sold lands at Heapstown. McTernan notes that the Cogans were one of the principal Catholic landowning families in county Sligo in the nineteenth century.
White (Spotfield) McTernan states that the estate at Spotfield was in the possession of John White in the eighteenth century. His wife was Mary Phibbs. In 1775 he sold the lands to William Phibbs of Rockbrook.